Garden Appreciation Thread

Summer days in my garden.
チコリ

ローズ

エキナセア

野菜(やさい)
Screenshot from 2022-07-04 11-29-09|690x387

11 Likes

Wow, a japanese garden that actually looks like a japanese garden! (humid temperate climate helps for sure).

4 Likes

Basil likes heat and full sun. Just about the only thing we can plant here in SoCal in the middle of summer.

5 Likes

左: 長い日本語のきゅうり
右: 短いロシアのきゅうり

This says something about mumble mumble mumble

8 Likes

I have made lettuce! Now I just need to eat it all before someone else does. Yesterday was Caesar salad. Tonight maybe a nice roasted beet and goat cheese salad.

7 Likes

I watched the video.
I am glad that you saved the seed again.
I had germination issues with キュウリ this year. We have starting to get a few coming in though.
Bitter Mellon is doing better. I have seeds a Vietnamese friend gave me a few years back.
:slight_smile:

7 Likes

I saved the seed but the cucumbers I saved it in were rotting rather than drying out. So I spread the rotting guts and seeds on a piece of paper towel and thought the heat from rotting might have messed them up… buried the paper towel in a seedling tray under compost and ended up with a whole tray of seedlings :crazy_face:

I should have done a viability test on just a couple of them.

6 Likes
4 Likes

ビーツ
レドビート

8 Likes

美味しそう!

Today we made apple crumble with apples from the garden, from the old tree. Thank you old tree!

10 Likes

9 Likes

Is that top right one a melon???

4 Likes

Screenshot from 2022-08-26 13-25-14

We get days in the mid 30’s starting in May. So plenty hot for melons.

I don’t like harvesting them before they are totally ripe, but I have picked a few that were chomped by critters and starting to maybe go bad.

7 Likes

My “da’s” are never very good.

7 Likes

5 Likes

Pawpaws? Do they really taste like mango mixed with custard?

1 Like

Yes, except even tastier. :yum: I would gladly eat myself sick on these. :wink:

2 Likes

There’s some amazing bonsai on here. Just expect that they show a bit of taiko drumming at the beginning of the vid from the exhibition! XD

I wondered about this mix of white and wood though. :thinking:

Looks like they’ve painted some of the wood? Is that what they’ve done?

My favorite is probably the one in the video thumb image, being all personality and a bit awkward in how it has a lot of trunk but only leaves on the back! XD

6 Likes

The white parts have had their bark stripped off. You actually damage the tree to do this, in order for it took look like a mature tree that’s recovered from being hit by lightning or disease. I don’t have bonsai (beause they always die on me), but I have many japanese garden trees. It took me so many years to grow and prune them that I’d never dream of damaging them to create the aestetic above. So that technique feels a bit weird for me. However, it definitely looks awesome.

6 Likes

Here’s my Japanese garden in the north of England. It took about 7 years to make a garden from a space which previously was bricks and grass:

I have plum trees 梅の木, cherry 桜の木 trees, loads of acer trees カエデの木 along with bamboos 竹 and sasa ササ grasses to really finish off the Japanese look & feel.

11 Likes