Garden Appreciation Thread

I’m guessing the one with white flowers is a witch hazel.
Plant ID phone apps are worthwhile.

1 Like

Another update, with more Azaleas and alliums!

The last magnolia flowers…

The cherry flowers are all but gone

It’s been extremely windy yesterday and today, so no wonder.

This was quite lovely. Big bush full of these petite bell-like flowers. :slight_smile:

I wonder what it’s called?

3 Likes

bbf34f9be22beff0d237de14e9c365779071d3fa_2_375x500

maybe this?

4 Likes

タンジェロはポメロ(ザボン?)ンとみかんのハイブリッドです。

甘くて酸っぱくてジューシーです。

5 Likes

Just wow, didn’t know such a fab site existed. This does look like it could be it!

Much thanks! :relaxed:

2 Likes

Also they have an app for phone…instant gratification.

I’m ambivalent on using it. Sometimes I HAVE TO KNOW and other times I’d rather not dispel the mystery of sauntering about encountering unknown and wondrous botany.

3 Likes

I guess, if I’m in photo-taking mode I’ve already got my phone out, but otherwise, yeah, I’d rather not have it on me at all, or keep it in my bag (if in the woods and for safety). :slight_smile:

1 Like

Built a little veggie garden today. Hopefully the bunnies don’t eat it all. I don’t know much about growing veggies. If nothing else I have mint for mojitos

9 Likes

That looks great! Wonderful garden.

1. Lesson number one. Mint can be invasive. You may need to make many mojitos to keep it in check. :slight_smile:
6 Likes

Haha. Thanks! The writing on the mint pot said the same so I left it out. It’s the one sitting beside the flowers. I just watered them all together. I think I’m going to plant the mint in a big planter pot and leave it on my deck. Do you think it will spread beyond the pot. Should I burn it now. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I just love fresh mint.

3 Likes

The mint won’t spread much by seed, it just sends out lots of deep runners. A big pot will be safe for it. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Garden advice is often filled with contradictions and ambiguity.
However, this point about mint and mojitos is unassailable.

3 Likes

Yes, in a pot is safe. You can burn excess mint as a smudge along with rosemary, lavender & bay leaf if you want to chase smelly ghosts away.

What’s happening with the mint in my garden is like a thousand vocab leeches in a massive pile of months-overdue reviews.

3 Likes

It’s a good start. Looks like you’ve got some rich soil.
There’s endless stuff to learn about gardening, so just keep at it and enjoy the journey.

4 Likes

Kinda happy with my creeping phlox this year. Also happy that I chose to get “rescue” plants from Walmart. Poor things are like pound pets. They come all weepy and neglected and you just have to be like “it’s ok. You’re safe now. This bed is full of triple mix and all the sheep poop you can eat. There is direct sun and I wil water you almost everyday. You will have a good summer. I promise. Then they just burst back into life. I used to go to a local greenhouse for annuals but Walmart is like a third to a fifth the price and much like pound animals the plants just need to be adopted way more…

9 Likes

うちは薬を使わない、それでも、塚原農園(つかはら のうえん)のユウチューブ は好きです。とても丁寧。聞き易いです。詳しい。

4 Likes

サヤエンドウ:

This is my third year of growing サヤエンドウ. I move from growing enough to eat, to growing enough to store.

莢豌豆 さや えん どう
pod pea bean

Usually written in kana.

9 Likes

Can I appreciate the Japanese garden in Portland here :joy: Idk if this is exactly the thread for this but hopefully these pics I took while visiting with my dad will make up for it - like please, it needs to be appreciated, look at it

12 Likes

My little experimental veggie garden is coming along nicely. Nothing has really eaten it despite lack of chicken wire. Basil doing very poorly. Does basil have special requirements?

8 Likes

It is great! Beautiful.
I have occasionally had basil not do well. Other times very well. I don’t have any idea why.

2 Likes