Feature request: link to kanji from the radical

Some radicals are learned after their component kanji and the mnemonic for the reading simply says "This radical is the same as the kanji. It means […].” However there is no direct link to the kanji in the “Found in Kanji” section unlike when the radical is learned before the kanji.

For example, radical learned after kanji

versus radical learned before kanji

It’s not that much of a hassle since it’s easy enough to search for the Kanji I need with the search bar, but this is definitely something I’ve wanted multiple times (especially recently now that I’m coming back from a couple of months away from WK and I’ve forgotten a lot of the mnemonics).

Please add the kanji to the Found in Kanji section of the radical even when the radical is learned after the kanji is already guru’d so that it’s easier to find the mnemonic for people coming back from a long time away or even just people who are really forgetful. Thank you!

7 Likes

In your former picture, the 売 radical is not used as a radical when learning the 売 kanji (it instead has links from 士, 冖, and 儿 which are the pieces that WK uses to teach the kanji). That’s why there is no link. Whereas with the latter, the 入 radical was used to teach the 入 kanji hence there is a link. The point of the link is simply to show which kanji uses that radical as a constituent part for the mnemonics.

But in your example, the 売 kanji doesn’t use 売 as a radical for its mnemonics. It instead uses:

So the link you suggest wouldn’t actually provide you the mnemonic for the kanji.

Yes, I know. But using this case as an example, the reason I would want to go to the kanji 売 from the radical 売 is because I’m reviewing the radical 売 (or a kanji that contains it) and I’ve forgotten the mnemonic story for the constituent radicals (side note: in this case I kept thinking “what’s a samurai hole” (and yes forehead legs is not the radical 穴 but I’ve been away a while). So I click on it and it tells me in the mnemonic that it’s the same as the kanji I already learned – great, but I’ve forgotten already. There’s no handy link to that kanji so I have to use the search bar.

So yeah, perhaps I wasn’t clear enough in my original post, but this information is exactly what I’d be looking for. If it bugs other people because the kanji is linked in the “Found in Kanji” section when it doesn’t use that radical as a mnemonic then I’d just be happy if it was anywhere on that screen, but I think it makes the most sense to put it there.

I’d honestly prefer they don’t use radicals that are identical to kanji anymore. What’s the problem with just using the kanji name in the mnemonics?

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.