Fatal Twelve 1️⃣ 2️⃣ 💀 (Visual Novel Book Club)・Week 13 Discussion Thread

Welcome to Week 13 of Fatal Twelve!

We are reading Fatal Twelve as part of the Visual Novel Book Club! Fatal Twelve is a mystery VN with a death game premise and multiple endings.

For more information on this VN, please check out the Home Thread!

Last Week

Next Week

Pace

Each week, we will aim for approximately 25K characters. Some most weeks will be longer or shorter, depending on appropriate breakpoints! Check this section in each weekly thread to see the stopping point. There is the possibility of some mild spoilers some weeks, so be aware!

This week's endpoint

~23.9k Characters

Choices

This section will have the list of choices that you should select if you are following along exactly with the book club. While you of course can read the VN however you like, it will be really difficult to contribute to the discussion threads if you are reading a different arc than the club, so please keep that in mind!

Choices

Choices:

1. 海晴に連絡をしない (Save 2)

Discussion Guidelines

Spoiler Courtesy

Please follow these rules to avoid inadvertent ネタバレ. If you’re unsure whether something should have a spoiler tag, err on the side of using one.

1. Any potential spoiler for the current week’s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.
  2. Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I don’t intend to read soon).
  3. Any information from later in the book than the current week’s reading (including trigger warnings that haven’t yet manifested) needs to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as coming from later sections.

Instructions for Spoiler Tags

Posting Advice

• When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked. As the threads get longer, it becomes more convenient to use the Search function, which is located in the upper right corner of the forum. It is the magnifying glass which is near your profile picture! The best way to search is usually to type part of the sentence you are confused about, and select “in this topic”. This will show you all posts within the current thread which has that string of text.
  • Be sure to join the conversation! It’s fun, and it’s what keeps these book clubs lively! There’s no such thing as a stupid question! We are all learning here, and if the question has crossed your mind, there’s a very good chance it has crossed somebody else’s also! Asking and answering questions is a great learning opportunity for everyone involved, so never hesitate to do so!

Participants

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I won’t be reading with the club
0 voters
4 Likes
Thoughts on this week

Not sure if I really liked this bad ending. A lot of it felt kind of overdramatic? I don’t really know why Miharu got so upset and worried after she told her secret to everyone. Rinka and Naomi didn’t seem that mad but Miharu made it into a bigger deal than it needed to be. It also felt uncharacteristic of her to fall for Scale’s trap to nominate Rinka. Seemed weird that Federico won the whole thing after that too, I figured he’d be the least likely person left to make it out. I think the first bad end was a lot more interesting.

4 Likes
Also

It feels pretty rushed from Bad Choice to Bad End. Like, already? Maybe the storywriter doesn’t have an idea…

Frederico winning, I am OK with it. Maybe I don’t know much about him yet.(More like just a side weak character for now.)

4 Likes
This week's spoilers ™

I still feel very confused about how the nomination works. I am very frustrated by the fact that the VN totally skips how Scale’s nomination of Miharu plays out, because I had hopes I could finally understand how it worked. Instead we get to see things from Federico’s point of view, and his inner thoughts made it seem that either I completely misunderstood what he was saying, or he’s just as confused as I am about how defending works.

Random thought: when Miharu reveals that she’s the winner of the previous selection - she says that she was less than one year old when that selection happens. Well, what do you know, Rinka’s parents die shortly after giving birth, which would have happened when Miharu was also a baby, given that they are close in age. Coincidence? Given my understanding of this VN, probably, yes.

I concur that this bad ending was weird in the sense that it didn’t seem to fit with the rest of what has been going on.

From my (vague) understanding, Miharu seems very emotionally unstable, but after what happened Scale was the last person I expected to be able to convince her. The VN says in this ending that Scale was a pretty smooth talker, but that’s the last impression I had of him so far. I don’t feel anybody really trusted him or believed him at all - even Federico, who’s clearly not the smartest of characters, talks about Scale’s web of lies and stuff. I think even someone mentions how false his annoying laugh is?

Overall, it felt really forced - like the writer had to make a mandatory extra bad ending and had run out of ideas.

4 Likes

The flow should be like this:

Scale nominates Miharu. Miharu, in turn, defends herself with three cards of Scale. Scale then reveals one of his own cards(e.g. his name card) to all members and destroys her defense.
Scale freely shared his name with others IRL so what held him back from doing the same here? He had no reason to hesitate, considering he hadn’t revealed any of his cards before.
Miharu had already revealed two of her cards. In a competition for the nomination right, she stands no chance.

2 Likes
Defense mechanics

Thanks for explaining, but I still don’t get it… If it’s really like you say, why on earth didn’t Miharu get dropped? There was absolutely no reason for Scale to hold back on revealing his name card, because like you mentioned, everybody knew it already. But Miharu was not dropped.

Also, I was under the impression that revealing a card was something that was done to get priority with conflicting nominations, which is not the case here.

That’s why I wanted to see how a defense played out =._.=

4 Likes

The defense

Spoiler

自分を脱落させようと指名してきた相手のカードを3枚持っていること
その3枚のカードを捧げる――消滅させることで身を守れるらしい。指名してきた相手のカードも消滅する……ということだね
指名された側は、指名して来た相手を今後指名できなくなる代わりに、その相手にも指名されなくなる
ただしその場合、指名者は≪自身のカード≫を参加者全員に1枚オープンにすることで相手の防御を打ち破れる

I assume it turns into a nomination right battle after the initial reveal(?) This is explained as follows:

Summary

指名した相手が自身を指名していた時、≪自身のカード≫1枚を参加者全員へオープンにした方が指名する権利を得ることができます。
どちらも≪自身のカード≫をオープンにした場合、さらにもう1枚……
お互いが3枚を公開した場合……優劣はつかず、指名が無効になるという。他の参加者に指名されるリスクを生むだけだ。

I want to see that also. I’m unable to make sense of it.

Skale reveals his name card, destroys Miharu’s defense.
Miharu reveals her last card, gets the right to nominate/drop Skale. This move makes sense because she will be dropped anyway.
Now Skale has to reveal another card to nominate/drop Miharu.
Probably Skale thought how it would go and found revealing two cards was too risky. He chose not to act in the end.

4 Likes

I think we talked about this in week 1 and the PS4 text is a little clearer (though still a bit obscure, so it would indeed have been nice to see an example played out).

The PS4 text seems clear that the defence mechanism is separate from nominations, which fits what we saw – Scale nominated Miharu, then the defence part happens on the upper floor where the target can select the nominator’s three cards if they have them. This matches what happened with Federico vs Odette too. But I agree with @heikimi that I don’t understand why Scale couldn’t or didn’t use the defence-breaking option then.

4 Likes

Oh, and I agree about the odd-feeling bad end. I wonder if they wanted to have each bad end have a different character winning, and this was Federico’s?

4 Likes