False cognates

Similar to that, I think that 最高 (さいこう) sounds like “psycho.” Like “you think you’re the best? You psycho! I’m the best!”

Here’s a good one:

One definition for 信号 (しんごう) is signal, which sounds very similar.

I’m currently playing Stardew Valley in Japanese and had a quest for Clint where he said he wanted ビンナガ (written that exact way in katakana). I’m like “Okay, Clint wants vinegar? That’s kinda weird but whatever…” I give him vinegar, and he gets upset. After WTFing for a second, I check the dictionary and find out that びんなが is albacore. Not making that stupid mistake again.

This isn’t a false cognate but ん looks so similar to a cursive n that back when I was learning kana I was able to remember it from first glance.

That reminds me, I’ve often wondered about よろしい sounding like Хорошо (if you use your imagination a bit). Of course, they have pretty much the same meaning.

そう sounds strikingly similar to its English translation, “so.” It makes 「そうです。」(“So it is.” ; “That’s right.” ; “That / it is so.”) so much easier to learn.

I had no trouble remembering 車両 (しゃりょう) as I made the connection to the french word chariot which just means wagon or trolley.

Damn, I was hoping she was a キャバレー

可愛い and 可爱 (ke’ai) happen to not be related to each other.

That’s one of my favorite words because of it! =D
I associate it with Lion King 2. Vitani and Nuka calls out that “Kobu wa saikou” which in Norwegian would mean Kovu was psychotic. In my dialect I would have said it just about exactly like they did, intonation and all! (except for the v in Kovu which they say as b) - Kovu var psyko (that R is excluded in my dialect)
But it really means Kovu is the best :wink: (Kovu, what a guy - original line from the English version)

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.