Extension of Shake Animation and Messages

Many people do their reviews quickly and don’t pick up on the UI cues

it did take me a while to get used to the pink/purple background meaning it’s asking for a different things lol
i don’t have a problem with it now but it did get me thinking this could be quite difficult for people with certain types of colorblindness

tbh i don’t know a ton about colorblindness but after a bit of looking things up, the graph at the bottom of this page does seem to suggest some people might find the colors for kanji vs vocab hard to tell apart Color Blind Test

has there been much discussion about accessibility in this regard?

3 Likes

Since spaces are not used in Japanese I think a better solution would be to ignore spaces. It’s never going to be a real error

7 Likes

There has been some discussion of it regarding some parts of the app, but I don’t think the review colors were chosen with this in mind. I’ve brought it up with the team and we’re going to look into improving that. Thanks for bringing it up!

3 Likes

Good point!

1 Like

@TofuguJenny I think I just caught a case where the shake is somewhat off:

I typed a double nn after the え but it told me I should type a n before the え? That does not really make sense, does it?

On an unrelated note, I once was asked to give the reading of 銃 and I typed ぐん (which actually is the meaning, not the reading :woman_facepalming:) but I did not get a shake - it was immediately marked wrong. :cry:

4 Likes

Hi @NicoleIsEnough, thanks a lot for pointing this out. This shake is indeed off. We thought we’d fixed these types of “over generous” cases, but we obviously missed this one!

As for 銃, I could see myself doing that too :sweat_smile: I’ll add a custom shake for 銃 and look into whether there are enough other examples of this scenario to merit a more wide-ranging shake :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I think it’s a good thing. Of course it’s very important to understand that there is just one correct option for the vocabulary reading, but the shake will not tell you that the reading is correct, just that we’re looking for something else. You still have to remember the correct reading in order to pass.
Personaly, as someone with attention disorder, this will help me a lot. In a lot of cases, I absolutely know the difference between the vocab and the kanji, and would never get it wrong when actually using it. But despite knowing this, despite understanding the UI, I’ll still get some very easy one-kanji vocab wrong, just because I didn’t pay attention that I was not asked for the kanji reading but the ovcab reading. If the word would have been in a sentence, I’d never get it wrong for example.
So yes, for me it’s definitely better and would prevent me from getting frustrated and feeling dumb for not getting a super easy word right, every time I forget to pay attention.

5 Likes

That happened to me quite a bunch as well, so now I’m using the Ultimate Reorder script to first quiz me on all the kanji and then on all the vocab. That way I only need to switch from “kanji mode” to “vocab mode” once. It helps me a lot.

3 Likes

This is exactly how I feel. I often mix up which is being asked for, when I absolutely know which is the kanji reading and which is the vocab reading. I fully support this resulting in a “shake” instead of an automatic wrong answer. (I already use the Doublecheck script to do this manually but I think it’s a good idea to make it a native part of WK.)

3 Likes

OH MY GOSH!! n typos… LET’S GO!!! I am so excited for this patch!! I used to power through all my reviews and I always got so frustrated at something like this… I’m so excited to see this come out!! Sorry, too much energy. Come summer I’m going to get back into WaniKani, and this is great news! (Level 17 now.)

1 Like

Not marking ん typos as wrong sounds amazing.
Does that mean 深夜 will shake if I typo it as しにゃ instead of しんや ?

Because I swear I could throw myself out of the window every time I make this typo, which is like every time the review comes up.

1 Like

Does that mean 深夜 will shake if I typo it as しにゃ instead of しんや ?

Yes that’s what it means :grin:

Huuuuh, I see. I’ve been getting one of these but it appeared after I’d gotten it wrong, the message popped up in the next item. I think it was kanji reading on vocab. It’s probably because of lightning mode.

For the kanji 思, if I type the old reading instead of the new reading, I get the message that looks like

Notice the boxes at the end that didn’t show up correctly. All scripts were disabled when this was taken.

Thanks for letting us know @Tomaranai! Were you using any scripts when this happened?

Thanks @est_fills_cando! What browser are you using? It should look like this:

It works on our end, but we can always remove it if it’s not displaying properly on some browsers/devices.

My screenshot was from Chrome. It looks like the font in your screenshot is different from the font in mine. Is it possible that some of the fonts you guys have selected for the website don’t support that character?

Edit: Even if the fonts are the same, my guess is that the font not supporting the character is still the problem. It might work for you because the web browser is using another fonts installed on your computer to render that one character. However, different operating systems come with different fonts installed so this won’t work for everyone.

1 Like

For reviews I’ve been using Double-Check, Confusion Guesser, Jitai, Show Specific SRS Level in Reviews and Katakana Madness.

Also these, just in case

Open Framework
^and Additional Filters
Dashboard SRS and Leech Breakdown
Self-Study Quiz
Item Inspector
Ultimate Timeline

I think it has to do with Double-Check since the others don’t affect input. Maybe it’s missing the new condition?

1 Like

My fork of the doublecheck script has better compatibility with some of these changes compared to the original script. You might try using that instead for a little while and seeing if that helps.

2 Likes

Ay, thanks. I’ll check it out.
Edit: Yeap, it works.

1 Like