Extension of Shake Animation and Messages

Here’s a funny one.

8 Likes

Because ほしい is not a verb?

Yeah. The alternative meaning of “to want” is messing up the message but i understand i got the wrong answer initially to get that.

1 Like

Apparently it’s a verb because it ends in い.

3 Likes

Uh oh :scream: Just to make it clear to anyone who’s not sure: 欲しい is not a verb in Japanese, though it is sometimes translated that way in English. For now, I’ve moved “to want” to the allow list, and we’ll look into getting this bug fixed!

12 Likes

Our update should now agree that 欲しい is not a verb! Phew :sweat_smile:

12 Likes

I agree with others that big vs. small vowel should be an error, not a shake (but thanks for the mid-word “n” vs. “nn” warning!)

One that I’d like to see added is shaking on mixed katakana/hiragana. The IME on Mac Chrome turns “Chiba” (with capital “C”) into “チば” and it gets flagged as an error. I get place names wrong almost half the time for this reason (yet lowercase “chiba” is accepted for meaning even though it is technically wrong.)

2 Likes

The worst is when you write ヘ instead of へ. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

i mostly think these are good changes, however i would also disable the shake for つ/っ.

when i get these wrong, it is never a typo, or just that i’m going to fast. instead it’s always a case where i remember the word wrong.

4 Likes

Personally, I love this. I have ADHD and make a lot of these mistakes due to crappy working memory or typing errors due to my brain going too fast and my hands not keeping up.

I haven’t used WaniKani much as a result, because I always felt like I was being penalized for how I function.

The shake animation is a nice reminder that I’m close but slightly off somehow. It lets me think about the difference between what I’ve learned and what I actually entered, and tends to better cement the correct answer.

Just being marked wrong doesn’t have the same effect. I’m not sure why. And then I get frustrated because the accumulation of all those small errors makes me feel like I’ve learned nothing.

So adding the shake animation in these other instances is likely to enhance my learning and help me to progress faster.

3 Likes

You make this sound like a problem with the IME but it sounds like it’s functioning properly to me? If you input capitals it should input katakana, 千葉 is ちば not チば. But you’re right that it’s Chiba not chiba, proper noun capitalisation always bugs me a little on WaniKani :triumph:

1 Like

I’m with @seanblue in thinking a level limit on these would be a good idea. Just like how WK stops giving the rendaku hint in the reading explanations, too. At some point you should be able to spot the differences yourself. Or you could after a certain point limit the behaviour to the lesson quiz only.

Japanese doesn’t have capital letters, so you should not be typing capitals in your Japanese answers. When I type Japanese with the IME outside of WK, using a capital turns my text to romaji instead of katakana. So these are bad habits to pick up and not be penalized for.

And the English side has never been case sensitive. But we’re not here to learn to type English, that’s why there is typo lenience on the Meaning cards.

6 Likes

Yeah, I think the small kana lenience should go away after you reach level 5 or so; especially for つ→っ. That really is something you should learn, and getting lenience for it every time is going to mess up the SRS progression for some people I bet.

I’m less worried about compound kana, because those are not something that changes when you form compounds out of kanji, so hopefully you’re learning them properly from the get-go; but I don’t recall the last time I messed up one of those, so honestly, if i screw that up I would expect it to be marked wrong.

All the other situations look great though, especially the おんな problem; that’s an eternal mismatch between the typical romanization and the right input for an IME, and in no way does it mean you don’t know the kanji.

Put another way: WaniKani is in the business of teaching people kanji, not how to type; typing つ instead of っ means you don’t know the word (because you are typing an incorrect reading that indicates you missed out on the つ→っ change), and it is actually typed very differently, so it shouldn’t be allowed too lightly (except for beginners, to nudge them in the right direction); typing おんあ instead of おんな is just a typo, because there is no reason for you to have somehow mistakenly learned the reading as おんあ (since WaniKani teaches in kana, not romaji); so that should always result in the shake, since it doesn’t indicate lack of the knowledge that WaniKani is trying to develop; and typing じゆう instead of じゅう is just kind of weird, because it kind of suggests you learned the word wrong (before you properly learned hiragana?), but for that reason it probably should also be restricted to beginners, though I bet almost nobody makes that kind of mistake past the first few levels anyway.

7 Likes

We completely agree with the concerns over っ versus つ. We’re planning to disable the blanket message and add some custom messages aimed at beginners only. I’ll let you know when this is updated, hopefully later today!

18 Likes

I was going for the shake warning when WK can guess that the error was due to IME and not understanding. Big つ vs. little っ are truly different “letters” with respect to meaning, but ち vs.千 are the same “letter” (as evidenced by some of the options that use katakana vs. hiragana for on’yomi readings.) Single “n” for ん works in my IME when there is a following letter that is not a vowel so it is reasonable to shake when WK guesses I meant おんな and not おな.

I know. I think it’s better to get used to typing double nn for ん in any case. Sometimes people end up typing something like ‘こんにちは、みなさn’ online, because they entered before double tapping the n.

Sure, when you’re trying to write things out in kana, people won’t bat an eye too much, so long as you’re consistent (i.e. チバ might be fine for emphasis, but チば is definitely gonna get you some side-eye).

If you want to write for conversion into kanji, though, it’s gonna cause some weird output. For example, typing “Chiba” into the Microsoft IME just yields “Chiba” in romaji and nothing else.

(Though, on closer inspection, you just typed the kanji 千, which is definitely not equivalent. :stuck_out_tongue:)

Or n’, if that’s what floats your boat.

1 Like

The more Ns the better!

2 Likes

The correction for つ versus っ has been disabled, so be sure to remember the little っ in words like 別冊, 達する, 折角 and 勝手 :wink:

Thanks to everyone who pointed this out! :crab:

12 Likes

I thought for certain I typed three n’s. Guess I missed one.

Screenshot_20210223_205041

No shake for this one?

(Yay for undo script, 'cause this was my burn review, and I am quite familiar with あんない by now.)

2 Likes