Ever use split screens for emergency?

It’s crazy how much that helps. I can do 100 reviews in 30 minutes but more often I drag it into hours because I’m watching YouTube, doing homework, or just generally putting them off (while they continue to pile up). Best to just full speed and do everything else after.

3 Likes

Ah gotcha. I’ve heard of people just only doing a set amount of reviews a day, no matter how many actually popped up, because they couldn’t handle the amount of reviews (but still doing their lessons all at once or trying to max speed every level). Does not work out well. Somethin that served me pretty well was to never go to sleep if I still had reviews to do. Lost a lot of sleep but I think overall it made things more manageable.

WaniKani’s SRS is both a blessing and a curse - it keeps you coming back every day to give you regular study time, but there are going to be days that you’re not in the zone, you don’t have time or you’re just having an off day. Doing lookups is going to hurt you in the long run (not just undermine the SRS, but it’ll increase your workload later on as a result), so the options here are either grind through it or slow down. If you don’t have time or just can’t focus, do at least a few reviews to keep that habit going, but leave the rest and the lessons and just shift back the schedule by a day or so.

1 Like

I’ve done reviews while watching football like a true European.

:soccer:

1 Like

was just doing reviews split-screened with youtube plus Netflix on my phone…

1 Like

Thread name feels completely fine to me with the explanation in the starting post. All the “mimimi you dirty cheater” talk imo makes no sense though. A lot of people seem to have a very bad feeling of balance especially when it comes to learning languages. I mean putting too much effort into perfecting little things (like certain grammar aspects or vocab) instead of spending it on improving on a big scale. That’s why the dropout rate with languages is relatively high. That’s how they teach English in schools where I live, just drilling grammar and vocab and premade sentences, and that’s why VERY few people can actually use it after school, and then forget it because of having no practice. I’ve said this before. My golden rule when learning a language for personal growth is “close enough is good enough.” Just having an idea about the field of meaning of a kanji or knowing the reading is enough to save you a lot of time. Typing a reading in a dictionary takes seconds over looking for a kanji by radicals, so knowing just that is a great achievement. So answering you question, I do use a second tab for wk meaning search and a jisho tab reading search. I don’t paste anything though, I type stuff in, mostly to check myself before giving the answer and I’m right the vast majority of times. Besides sometimes wk wants a particular word and synonyms won’t do (dumb). I don’t consider messing up rendaku to be a major problem, but wk does. Same goes for transitivity, especially how bad it is explained in English and how different the required translations for particular verbs may be (sometimes you have to add “something”, sometimes it’s “to be blablabla”, and sometimes you can use the same form for both). Also, wk radicals seem like a complete nonsense to me. There are about 200 fake ones, and the names won’t do you any good when you want to use a dictionary, so I just want to burn those asap and never have to deal with them again. No trashtalking intended. What I’m trying to say is that some things are far less important than people make them out to be. I know what’s best for me because I thought about it a lot and tested it in practice. You never try you never know.

1 Like

Your post doesn’t make sense to me.

No one cares if some other user cheats or not. The only one this kind of cheating harms is the user themselves. Failing a review is at core of SRS. It’s not a “punishment” for not studying.

6 Likes

Sounds like you need to slow down your lessons. I have an eight month old and a full time job, so I don’t go above a certain number of reviews in my forecast. If it goes above that, which it does sometimes due to timing - oh well. I can always do them later. Maybe it’s less efficient but it’s more efficient than not really doing them by cheating.

I say this because cheating isn’t effective as a time saver, because you’re not going to learn anything and then you’re going to have to look it up when you read it later. Even if your goal is just to “beat” Wanikani instead of actually learn, where’s the satisfaction in copy pasting answers in? Sounds boring to me. It’s in the same category of those guys who would use aimbots back in my pre-kid online shooter days. Yeah it’s effective, but where’s the sense of satisfaction when you earn an achievement?

Sorry if I sound jugdey. That’s not my goal here; I just don’t get it.

1 Like

I mean, I can agree with this on some level, as I’m quite lenient with my own flashcards and keep a similar philosophy overall. Definitions cement themselves later while reading and experiencing the language. In this case though, if OP is simply copypasting the answer, WK just becomes busywork.

4 Likes

That’s some elitist attitude I was talking about. I wasn’t talking about anyone in particular, yet you were the one to respond to it. I never cheat, you only hurt yourself, I know all the 500+ radicals (half of which don’t exist though) and so on. This thread required a different opinion as well. Telling people that they hurt themselves by doing possibly the right things for them is a bad idea. If what I wrote makes no sense to you, then scan the trhead for some passive agressive posts before calling me out for it.

Well I did specify what I do differently.

And it does say about and emergency.

But then why are you even paying for Wanikani? If you don’t care about radicals you can’t use the provided mnemonics; if you cheat on reviews you aren’t benefiting from SRS. And that’s pretty much all that a WK subscription has to offer.

4 Likes

Yes. Most of the posts here are condemning cheating, which is a different thing you are talking about. Lots of people use override scripts to skip “dumb” mistakes and many choose to ignore the WK invented radicals completely. I haven’t really felt that’s something that is frowned upon. I also remember burning radicals even when I didn’t remember them because I didn’t really care about mnemonics at that point anymore.

I don’t consider fixing those “to” or spelling mistakes cheating and added my own synonyms often. I think what creates a lot of discord is different people just define cheating differently and get worked up what is the ‘right way’ to do WK.

6 Likes

I’m paying for organizing my studies. I don’t ignore mnemonics, but some of them are just bad and close to useless. Some, not all, but I feel like the fake radicals actually hurt the learner by not being marked as such. I don’t consider myself to be cheating, I’m just setting more suitable standards for myself. I won’t need the narwhal radical once I’m done with wk for example. Besides you do benefit from srs in any way you use it. That’s the good thing about it. If you get something for free, you have a harder time next time. So pasting in is more like skipping rather than cheating to me. I don’t use it, but just imagine, if someone feels like they are cheating, they might feel so bad about it, that it makes an item stick.

2 Likes

I guess you’re right.
As for cheating, breaking the code would be cheating. Having wk give correct answers for not giving correct answers. Looking stuff up, even pasting is still work. It’s less work, it might be less productive, but it’s not zero work. You still look at the items while searching them. Cheesing maybe, but that’s not cheating if you ask me. There was a dude who said he’d have to “cheat something” on wk. That’s a cheater attitude. I don’t know how and what I need to cheat, but I’ll cheat. Here it’s just making a little thing a little easier.

1 Like

You know, I even looked up “elitism” to see if there are alternative meanings.
The funny thing is that I found an example sentence that fits this situation perfectly:

“I’ve been accused of elitism and snobbery because of my views on grammar and spelling”

Source: Dictionary.com | Meanings & Definitions of English Words

2 Likes

People don’t start entire topics about elitist attitute here for nothing you know. :slight_smile:

i’d say you’d be better off just letting some reviews roll over to the next day. looking up answers won’t help you learn faster, and make it more likely that you’ll fail them in future. personally, it’s not something i’d ever do

3 Likes

This bothers me also. The one I really don’t like is when you can use the same answer for both transitive and intransitive. It implies that they are completely interchangeable and will make things more confusing later on for someone not already familiar with this (yes I know it is listed on the side, but someone super new to Japanese may have a hard time with it). I also think it could be improved without some sort of massive overhaul.