Electronic versions of Genki 3e books?

Is it possible to buy electronic editions of any of the Genki 3rd edition books? I’m coming up on the end of volume 1, which I’ve been doing with the 2nd edition workbook I bought (mumble, mumble) years ago, and put aside in frustration. (The new edition, along with Tokini Andy’s YouTube channel, has spurred me to pick it back up.)

Because I’ve decided to not learn how to hand-write kanji, I’ve been using a Google doc as my workbook, which means typing in all the questions, too. (I tried using the doc just for answers, but that’s part of the “put aside in frustration” thing.) I could do that for the next volume, but if I can skip that step, I’d prefer it.

I’m probably going to stick with the paper version of the textbook, but if there are electronic versions of the workbook and answer key, I’d be all over them.

Last time I saw on Amazon US there were electronic versions.

1 Like

I’m not too familiar with Genki’s different materials, but it looks like Amazon.com has the third edition workbook and answer key for digital purchase, and the Japanese Kobo site (but not English Kobo site!) has it as well:

3 Likes

OK, how did I miss Amazon? :stuck_out_tongue:

The answer key is perfect. The workbook … may not be. I can’t tell if there’s a way to “write in” the kindle version. If there is, that’d be just what I’m looking for. I tried grabbing the sample, but it’s literally just the table of contents. And it’s not possible to copy any of the text out of it, so I’d still be typing up my google-doc version. Still, it might be more convenient to have both the textbook and the doc on screen.

Thanks so much!

Based on the file size, I would expect it to be scanned page images, which means no interaction.

However, viewing it on Amazon’s web Kindle viewer and using a tool like the CopyFish web browser extension may help to copy text to paste into your notes.

2 Likes

Oooh … now, that does look interesting.

In fact, I just grabbed CopyFish, and with a little bit of fiddling, I’m able to copy the text from the sample!

It’s a little bit fiddly – if the first bit of text it scans is Japanese, it will also get any interspersed English text. If the first thing it scans is English, it doesn’t start until the first Japanese it finds. Still, this looks really workable.

Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.