Eggsistenial crisis: 卵 vs 玉子

So I recently was at a Japanese restaurant which had its menu items written in English and Japanese. Surprisingly, on their menu they had the word たまご (egg) written as 玉子 instead of 卵. It kind of makes sense (spherical child), but that’s definitely not what I was taught. Is it a regional thing? Maybe a way to write it for children? Have I been wrong all this time? Do I need to reset to level 1?

8 Likes

I totally remember this one :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Seems like I should have searched better on the forums. Thanks for your answer!

1 Like

Also 子 is an archaic word for a bird egg. I would expect that’s likely where the alternate form derives from.

2 Likes

Wish I’d seen that thread above too, though it was fun reading the answer from mamimumason in Japanese a few days ago.

3 Likes

I’ve never seen this but I have noticed that sometimes on menu’s “chicken and eggs” is called “bird and child” haha.

1 Like

Seems like the only logical solution to me. You should be ashamed of yourself!

Mods! Reset this poser to level zero and make them scrub the deck!

5 Likes

Or it could just be a reference to the meaning I point out above which is that it was an old word for bird egg.

1 Like

there is 親子丼 [parent/child/rice bowl] which is a rice bowl with chicken and egg.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.