Drinks make you fat

If I wanted to say that, why wouldn’t it be:

飲み物を太る

I’m using the drinks to get fat, so I’m trying to say “I will get fat with drinks.”

But the translator says that 飲み物が太る, or “drinks make you fat.” But why is mine incorrect and the other one is?

2 Likes

太る is an intransitive verb, so this is not an option.

Do you mean google translate or something? That sentence means “Drinks get fat.”

Translating it literally, it would be 飲み物が(人を)太らせる

太らせる is the causative form of 太る (the form that expresses “making” or “letting” someone do something).

However, this is not a natural way to express this idea in Japanese. Generally speaking, it’s not natural to say that inanimate objects take actions, unlike in English, where it’s normal.

To know exactly the best way to express it in natural Japanese, I would need more information about what you mean. Do you mean drinking too much? Alcoholic drinks? Sugary drinks like soda? People who drink a lot of water would surely find the statement perplexing.

Here’s a more comprehensive discussion of why inanimate objects doing things is unnatural.

21 Likes

Thank you so much for that information! Yes, I mean sugary drinks or alcoholic drinks. I forgot about the fact it was an intransitive verb.

1 Like

I had a shot at writing some sentences on this. Can’t guarantee their accuracy or naturalness tho, output remains a big challenge for me… But I hope it can at least give you some ideas. (If you happen to spot something weird please do point it out!)

(あま)()(もの)()みすぎたら、すぐに(ふと)る。
You’ll get fat quickly if you drink too many sugary drinks.

(さけ)()みたいけど、(ふと)(はや)いからダメです。
I wanna drink alcohol but I shouldn’t because I’m quick to put on weight.

不健康(ふけんこう)()(もの)をたくさん()むと、太になる。
You’ll get fat if you have lots of unhealthy drinks.

And using @Leebo’s example:

()(もの)意外(いがい)と、(ふと)らせるの(おお)きな理由(りゆう)です。
Drinks are a suprisingly big reason for weight gain.

8 Likes

I’d write it like this:

砂糖さとうがたくさん入ってる飲み物を飲むと太るよ
Drinking drinks with a lot of sugar will make you fat.

But if I had to use a simpler sentence…
“I will get fat with drinks.” sounds weird even in English tbh, but I guess maybe something like this would work?
飲み物で太る
“By drinks, I will get fat” would probably get the point across. but would still be pretty “wha??”.

Though I’ve said something similar to my wife before.
ラーメンたくさん食って太ろうぜぃ!ってゆったw

3 Likes

5 Likes

I’m not native-level yet so knowing what sounds “natural” is outside my ability, but that said my gut here says to just use もの. It’s a very common habit for language learners (myself absolutely included) to overcomplicate things due to inexperience, but usually the most “natural” way is the simplest. If I wanted to say that sentence I would just say 飲み物は太るものだ.

5 Likes

4 Likes

as an indian, i cannot believe what i am reading

4 Likes

This is fascinating! This explains a lot about the style of English texts (such as instructions and menus) written by native Japanese speakers.

3 Likes

Wait until you hear about what the kids do with Tide pods

2 Likes

Everything makes you fat…

3 Likes

Not with that attitude!

1 Like

what do the kids do with tide pods

2 Likes

What’s the difference between 物 and もの?

1 Like

Good question, it’s a super common word and also one used in litany grammatical structures that you’re sure to be running into for years to come. I’m not sure about every single case, but in general if you use the kanji for compound words (物語、物真似、etc) and the kana for grammatical structures (~ものなら、〜をものともせず、etc) that should get you halfway there.

Very similar situation with 事/こと by the way.

2 Likes

I saw you use it after a verb, and my understanding so far of もの is that it represents things, but I can’t make sense of “to get fat things” as in 太るもの. I could understand if it was more like 太いもの.

1 Like

Oh I see, yeah, Japanese does not follow English sentence structure, and verbs before nouns usually modify the following noun, without any helping particle. So the English phrase “the place I went to” is expressed with just “went place.”

You can see this with various conjugations and it all works more or less the same:

食べたいもの - things (I) want to eat
頼んだもの - the thing (I) ordered
起こるもの - things that happen (in this world)
太るもの - things that fatten (people)

In all those cases the subject is dropped but can be easily inferred. As to why I went with 太る and not 太らせる, I honestly don’t know, just a gut feeling, and if any native speaker wants to correct me, please go ahead. I’ve just heard a lot of sentences like that and it felt more natural to me than the causative form, even though the causative appears more correct coming from English, but I could be wrong!

3 Likes

ものと物は良いですが、ステレオはモノよりも良いです!:headphones:

1 Like

「者」も「もの」の物だ

1 Like