Pages 81 - 87

Story 2: バラと天ぷら 事件

Start Date: 6th July
Last Week: Solution Part 1
Next Week: Solution Part 3

Doggy%20Detectives

わんわん探偵団 Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur / hide any major events in the current week’s pages (however early they occur), like so: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked

• Join the conversation - it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

6 Likes

One thing that puzzled me. On page 84 we have

アアルプスは犯人のあるいたとおりに、たどってきたんですよ。
Alps followed the road where the culprit had been.

Why ある and not いる? Isn’t 犯人 a human…?

1 Like

Page 84

あるいた → 歩いた

7 Likes

Page 84

そしてもう,どこにもいこうとしません。

I had to look this up - volitional form + とする can have a few meanings including “trying to do (something)”. So I’m reading this as And now he’s not trying to go anywhere.

5 Likes

Omggggg :woman_facepalming: In hindsight I think this is officially the silliest question I’ve asked on here lol :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Nope, not silly, parsing is a pain!

4 Likes

It took me so long to figure out what the last part of the last sentence on Page 87 was saying. It’s pretty obvious if you take a sneaky peek at the next page!

2 Likes

page 82

犯人はこれでとくするやつです。それしかどうきはありません。

Who is saying this? Is it Spitz? Also I’m not quiet sure I understand these sentences, especially the second one. “The criminal is the guy who makes a profit with this. Only there is no motive…???” What is それ doing here?

page 84

そしてもう、どこにもいこうとしません。

Is “いこうとしません” = いく(volitional) + とする (neagtive)?
So this means “is not trying to go”? (" 〜ようとしない" on bunpro)

The whole sentence: “And now (he) isn’t trying to go anywhere anymore/further.

nevermind… I just saw @Micki’s post :sweat_smile:

Also... spoilers

So as expected it was the painter. …but he looked so kind :fearful:. I was hoping there was a specific reason (not just “he did it to profit off of repainting the walls”) or that he wasn’t doing this alone…

5 Likes

I’m not near my copy of the book at the moment to re-read this part so hopefully it is correct and makes sense.

The way I understood this was:

犯人はこれでとくするやつです。

Summary

犯人は - in relation to the criminal
これで - by way of this
とくする - benefit
やつです - guy

The 犯人はこれでとくする is modifying the やつ so I understood it as ‘The guy/person who benefits by way of doing this is the criminal.’

If I remember correctly the ‘this’ is the graffiti. So ‘The only person who benefits (from the graffiti) is the criminal.’

それしかどうきはありません。

Summary

If I’m not mistaken I think @Radish8 had a good way of understanding しか in one of their posts for one of the previous weeks for this book. I used to get it confused as well until I read that.

If you think of しか as ‘except’ so in this case ‘except for this’ I find it makes the sentence a bit easier to understand.

‘Except for this, a motive doesn’t exist/there is no other motive.’

I understood それ to be referring back to the previous sentence and the fact that only the criminal is benefitting. So it’s saying apart from the motive of the graffiti benefitting the criminal, no other motive exists.

I hope that helps at least a bit.

and that I’m understanding it correctly… :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

I’m playing catch up a bit, as I figured I’d probably end up reading the whole solution portion in one go.

Reading has been going smoothly, but I didn't expect a *second mystery* to show up on page 87.

The Case of the Misplaced Furigana

5 Likes

It’s not misplaced in my ebook. ^^

1 Like

Huh, I just checked and it’s correct in mine! Slightly different printings? Or are you on eBook?

The one time I buy physical rather than digital!

Physical release here. I’m surprised to see such an issue when it’s a re-release (the last page advertises the books in the わんわん series, as well as the にゃんにゃん series). Looks like maybe it’s a March 2009 re-print?

My book is the 14th reprint, 2015年 4月, and is correct. I wonder when they fixed it?

Well spotted by the way!

1 Like

Yeah, mine’s also the 2015.

I remember an author saying that however much proof-reading you do the first thing you will find when you get the new print of your book is a typo :grin:

5 Likes

As an author of my bachelor and master thesis as well as other stuff that has been printed or released, this is excatly the reason why I don’t re-read the “finished” works (at least not right after the print/release). It would drive me mad to still find mistakes after proof-reading a dozen times (and I’m positive you will always find something even if you don’t look for it).

4 Likes

On page 87, there is a sentence that ends as … ぬりなおしの仕事がくるわけですからね。I’m assuming this means something like Your repainting business part will come. Assuming くるわけ is drawing attention to his business as opposed to his graffiti vandalism? .

I’m not sure since I can’t find it in the vocab sheet or dictionary. Thank you to anyone who is still checking this thread and willing to answer!

2 Likes

Hi!

Page 87

ぬりなおしの仕事がくるわけですからね。

ぬりなおし - repainting
仕事 - work (not business)
くる - come
わけです - no wonder, naturally
から - because

So, “…it’s no wonder that repainting work comes (i.e. comes in, comes your way), is it?”

I had to look the わけです bit up in DoBJG and got this:

Screenshot 2021-01-17 073540

so, there seems to be a bit of emphatic overlap (?) between わけです and から

And you’re right, there’s not much in the vocab list for this sentence, so I’ll fix that after I’ve done my morning WK lessons. :grin:

Ah! Some further enlightenment: わけ is (conclusion from reasoning, judgement or calculation based on something read or heard), not 分け

3 Likes

Wonderful, I’m reading that entry in the dictionary now. Didn’t even suspect it was a grammar point. It’s very helpful.

1 Like

Thanks for the cerebral workout, and especially for 訳 - I just learned the kanji 4 days ago, but haven’t seen any of the vocab for it yet, and thanks to you I expect I’ll be ahead of the game with the kunyomi :smiley: