Do you remember the type of reading you're studying?

Hi guys,

When studying vocabulary I’m seeing quite a lot of “because this word is x (e.g., a number), you’ll be using the y reading.” I’m thinking that really only helps if I’ve already memorised which reading is which for the relevant kanji. With this in mind, when you’re memorising a reading, do you also memorise which type of reading (i.e., on’yomi or kun’yomi) you’re memorising? Or am I missing something?

Cheers!

1 Like

not really, it just “feels” like on yomi or kun yomi, I hate to say that but it comes with time, I still check it though, there are readings that aren’t what they feel like

7 Likes

I installed this userscript so that I could get the hang of which was which (on’yomi and kun’yomi readings), and now I’m much much better at knowing/guessing :slight_smile:

I don’t actively memorise “this one is on’yomi! don’t forget!!” or anything, but it is helpful to see the info even briefly during kanji lessons+reviews, and over time get more of a sense of which sounds tend to be on’yomi and which are kun’yomi, and then see how those fit into the vocab.

I think there are a group of sounds that seem to come up quite a bit more in On’yomi (こう、そう、じょう、しょう、ちょう、し、etc) that don’t show up as often in Kun’yomi. I haven’t seen anyone with a comprehensive list, but getting a feel for the “on’yomi noises” has helped me with intuitively guessing after a while. (Coming at it as a complete Japanese non-speaker, just getting used to those sounds has been a challenge!)

Also, in ~9/10 kanji, WK teaches the on’yomi first. So I get thrown sometimes when WK presents the kun’yomi first and I didn’t notice that I memorized it as on’yomi : p

Personally, I only pay attention to whether a reading is different from what I learned with the kanji. I’d be hard pressed to actually say which reading is which in most cases, though I’m getting a better feel for it now. I just learn that a particular reading goes with a particular vocab word.

If I do need to guess at a reading (with new words, for example), I sort of work backwards from words I know, if that makes sense. Like, this new word doesn’t have any attached hiragana, so this kanji probably reads something like this similar word I know that doesn’t have hiragana with it (typically on’yomi readings, but again, that’s not how I figure it out in my head). There are exceptions that will throw you off later on, but these are usually pointed out in the lessons.

Aside from one single exception, every example reading you’ve specified is invariably on’yomi, and never kun’yomi. 神 has こう as kun’yomi, but mostly only when it’s used in 神戸 (though a few of those readings also exist as nanori).

1 Like

I dont particularly focus on which reading they are, I guess after 10-20 levels it just became natural to know which reading goes where. Im sure if you continue at a steady pace it will become easier for you!

Don’t stress on the readings, just focus on learning new words and the readings will come to you

I’m not sure if こう was the exception you were mentioning, but し is a kunyomi that isn’t particularly rare. (ex. 知る, 閉まる, 敷く, 死ぬ, 占める, 締める, 染み)

1 Like

Heh, oh yeah. Forgot about that one when I was going down the list.

1 Like

Actually, now I’m curious- does anyone know if there’s there a comprehensive list on WK somewhere of all on’yomi sounds? There can’t be “that” many of them, right? (hopeful tone : p)