Differences between transitive and intransitive verbs

why. can’t. it. ever. get. any. easier

I did not know that, thanks for that info. I wonder if these rules have also been created by this guy:

http://www.therisingwasabi.com/sadistic-heian-aristocrat-responsible-for-kanji-with-sixteen-readings/

1 Like

Seconding what @seanblue said about pairs:

解く– to untie
解ける– to be untied

倒す– to defeat, to overthrow, to topple, to knock over
倒れる– to be defeated, to fall, to be knocked over

I believe going from う form to える flips the transitivity, but there’s no rule about which one is transitive or intransitive. The following is the opposite of your example:
開く (あく) is intransitive
開ける is transitive.

1 Like

Unrelated, but the ***s in the title make me giggle. It’s past 2 am and I’m very mature.

5 Likes

It happened with me too, don’t worry :joy: Read it with the intonation of “To be or not to be” :thinking:

2 Likes

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO WHO CHNGED THE TITEL>?!?!

3 Likes

Heh… titel

I’m an adult, I swear.

Boring person.

3 Likes

I could change the title back to the good one, but I think that’s an abuse of my power :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I kept coming back, the titel got me all stirred up like a big turkey in a rice paddy 奮

2 Likes

Have a medal, cool kid :sunglasses:

Also, if you was a watermelon, this would be you.

Dis you? Seriously though? Why are mounties so awesome?

If you is a potato, marry me or I’ll post this to you.

After seeing your heroics as a mountie potato

Oh my god, kill me now. that is the most cringe thing I’ve posted yet.

At this point, I wish they had kept it the way it was if it meant the topic would become mute-worthy >_>

guys
you’re forgetting something

Transitive verbs will take を, while intransitive verbs take が or は

EXCEPTION- Some intransitive motion verbs will take を if location is the direct object.
Example: 部屋を出た。(I left the room)

1 Like

I think the problem is when you’re trying to answer on WK (or choose the right one to use in a sentence) you won’t have that clue to help you, though if you are reading it becomes obvious, yes.

1 Like

So, I just (re)found this video, and wanted to post it without creating a new transitive/intransitive thread, and this was the first thread I found. I didn’t check any of the other sources posted on this thread, so maybe it was already covered, but hopefully people will find this useful.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.