Did they just give up on example sentences?

Here’s the thing though, there is some random vocab here and there post lvl 20 that have 3 sentences.

1 Like

Is it items that may have been reordered? As far as I understand they sometimes move items to different level.

1 Like

If there are 3 sentences per vocab item it wouldn’t be impossible to add the new word and one new grammar point every couple of sentences/once in a while. It doesn’t even have to be perfect or anything. I think it’s fair to start off using plainます form and work from there. There are already Anki decks that do this exact thing.

But WaniKani isn’t a grammar learning site.

3 Likes

It doesn’t have to be. It still uses different points of grammar in it’s example sentences. And it even starts easy and ramps the complexity up already.

I have encountered this numerous times, although they are few and far between, perhaps one in every 50 items?

Clearly not.

Did you see this?

Maybe people expect that original response to mean that WaniKani is going to remove context sentences if they move something.

If you see an item with more than 1 context sentence after level 20 it is not because they have started adding more to the ones after level 20. That’s the point. If that changes, it’ll likely happen all at once in an update they announce.

2 Likes

I did see it, but it was a question not a provision of information. I’m guessing you’re confirming it?

Yeah, that’s reasonable. The sentences that are convoluted with a lot of untaught kanji are the original sentences from before they thought these things through. For words that now have three sentences, 1-2 of them make sure not to use untaught kanji.

2 Likes

sorry, I don’t understand this one.

I was just guessing, if maybe an item from a level below level 20 has been moved (reordered) to a level above level 20 it will probably keep its context sentences. I don’t know though whether there actually was a case when an item below level 20 was moved to a level beyond 20. It simply was first idea that came into my mind.

I think so, too. Any ideas though, what could be a reason if an item above level 20 has more than one context sentence?

Well, for 幾つ at least, they added the two new sentences in a content update:

And from searching the forums, it seems pretty random when they do so. For example, they added a second sentence to 凹む (Level 59) a year ago.

1 Like

I was agreeing with you.

I guess it’s not the case.

But the point of what @darkness_rising said in “There will not be” wasn’t “There are literally no items beyond level 20 with more than one sentence” but that the update process to increase all items to three sentences hasn’t gone past level 20 in bulk.

1 Like

I see. thanks for looking them up. Maybe they were items people emailed them about to clarify some of the meanings. But again, it’s just ideas coming into my mind :slight_smile:

Oh wow I didn’t even see this. I wonder how soon it will come…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.