Diasble Radicals

Thanks for the in-depth reply! Wow, this editor is fancy.

So, I know the kanji meanings in Chinese (and English), my point is the majority (okay not the majority but 2/5) of my wanikani reviews are things I already know :frowning:

If you’re looking primarily to learn vocab, WaniKani is not the way to go about it (it is a kanji learning site first and foremost). There are a lot of other useful apps like Torii or Kitsun for learning core vocab.

Hmm okay, this is useful to know! Yeah I could use like an Anki or Torii deck and just go through the vocab, but I like the wanikani UI and mnemonic method (for the readings of characters, not the meanings). So I had hoped to use wanikani, but the radical thing is a big bummer. Plus, I can’t skip past all these words I already know.

Like Omun already mentioned, WaniKani uses these “radical” components to help form their own mnemonics. It’s true a lot of them are nonsense, but it is nonsense because that’s how the system intended to use them. Feel free to use your own (or official radical names and such) if you’d like in the notes and synonyms, as many of us do.

Yeah, this is what I do, but if you already know all the kanji meanings (like you said, I think the average person could get there in a couple months with RTK), then it’s just annoying to have to go and mark every radical. Maybe I could use the API to do it en masse somehow…

Naphthalene’s review of WaniKani as an advanced Japanese learner

Wow, 10 months lol. I think I would be around N3 so it won’t take me that long, but yikes. But I totally agree, the user input is super powerful for making sure I get things right. I need to be more careful about typos messing up my accuracy…

In any event, thanks for all the details! I think I will be okay with just using a synonym on the radicals and seeing how far that takes me. Thanks!

3 Likes