Detective conan

Can Detective conan work as a listening practice or is it too hard ?

giphy

Is it in Japanese?

1 Like

yah of course

Then thereā€™s your answer. As for the difficulty, itā€™s a kidā€™s show so itā€™s probably among the easy things to pick from.

I really like Detective Conan. I was watching it for some time using it as listening practice. Most of the episodes I went with I had already watched them long time ago, so I kinda knew the solution to the mystery :sweat_smile:.

The kids speak really clear and specially like the final explanation of the case, as you can get most of the dialogues since they have so many extra clues to what itā€™s been said.

Totally recommended :+1:

3 Likes

I adore Conan and I watch this on TV regularly. Thereā€™re a lot of crime-related words thatā€™ll turn up on the N2 and N1 exams, plus if you ever watch Japanese news they come in handy. :+1:

Disclaimer: I have not yet started listening practice.

The biggest hurdle to listening practice I think will be your ability to recognize vocabulary and grammar. Itā€™s like how WaniKani teaches radicals and kanji before getting to bigger vocabulary words. The vocabulary and grammar you know will likely dictate how many words youā€™ll be able to recognize when you hear them.

My experience: This happens often for me. A while back I learned 命 on WaniKani, then I heard it in an anime soon after. This week I learned ē†ęƒ³ while reading a manga, then I heard it in an anime later the very same day.

You can find Japanese subtitles out the for various Detective Conan episodes. (If thereā€™s a place with subtitles for all episodes, I havenā€™t found it.) Reading through subtitles can give you an opportunity to figure out sounds are being said, and if you make vocabulary cards based off of those words and learn them, youā€™ll start picking them up when you hear them in the episode. The only problem there (for those of us around level 12) is the subtitles wonā€™t have furigana.

My experience: I tried this and failed when my grammar knowledge was a mix of partial N5 and sub-partial N4. Now that Iā€™m at full N5 and partial N4, I should give it another try. I also wasnā€™t doing flashcards for the vocabulary on that attempt.

I recently skimmed through parts of the first five volumes of the Detective Conan manga in Japanese (as they are temporarily free on some ebook stores). I found the parts I read through, I could understand what was going on fairly well (even though itā€™s been a few years since I read them in English, and even longer since I saw the anime episodes in Japanese with English subtitles).

Depending on your amount of knowledge and your drive and determination, you may either fail or succeed at using any given anime for listening practice. However, you could do worse on difficulty of anime selection.

Have you read up on shadowing? Although its intention is to improve speaking/pronunciation, you can follow all the steps to shadowing except for the speaking portion, and it should apply to listening practice nicely. (But doing the speaking portion wouldnā€™t hurt, either.)

Would you be so kind as to give me a little pointer for that? A quick Google search didnā€™t yield a lot of useful results for me so far but I keep on looking. I donā€™t know many other anime as well as I do åęŽ¢åµć‚³ćƒŠćƒ³ and stuff like Death Note is a little too complex for my Japanese abilities as of now. I should have watched more anime but if I found a lot of Conan episodes I would be fine I guess. In general, I am not that knowledgeable about anime so I do not know any good websites.
(I found a site where you can download some .srt-files but I donā€™t have the episodes)

I donā€™t know the legality of sites that provide subtitles, so I donā€™t know if itā€™s all right to give a link. But I can say that for the first 100 episodes of Detective Conan, Iā€™ve only seen subtitles available for 35 of the episodes. For the next 100 episodes, Iā€™ve only seen subtitles available for 10 of the episodes.

Once upon a time I thought I might be able to extract vocabulary from the Detective Conan subtitles to learn words common to the series, with the possibility of trying to read the series in Japanese. I decided against it when I saw how a majority of the subtitles are for episodes 500+. It should still be enough to get me the common crime/detective vocabulary, but my biggest interest would for episodes based on the first volumes of the manga, soā€¦

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.