Descent of the Durtle into eGoooott - NOW AT B8!

Thanks! Although nothing seems to make sense…

Yeah, it was more so that you wouldn’t waste any time

If we follow the other 3 books, it should be eGoooott…

Another reminder to reverse something? Oooh and hoo are almost mirrored. (Also, a lot of o’s, like egoooot, but that’s probably coincidence.)

Yeah, that does seem to be right.

… now what?

The issue is, almost isn’t good enough, and also every other book has required us to not count spaces. Also, it’s "sgooooi " with the space. Why have eight letters in the code if one of them’s going to land on a space?

I’ll say. The clue that busted everything wide open came after the last hint post.

My feeling is that it’s a drawn-out letter for emphasis (like “loooove” or something"), but that’s just a gut feeling. @Okanekure’s theory that it’s a hyphenated word (like “cross-section”) also holds water.

The argument against it being two words with a space is that we’re explicitly asked to find four keywords, and I don’t know if it still counts as one keyword with a space in it.

It’s getting close to witchery, is what it is.

Oh, I was given a pair of “slippers” when I stayed at the New York HI Hostel. They were thongs. (Ah… “flip flops”)

I would have found a way anyway. You helped it to only be half an hour, instead of a whole hour. Or two. :slightly_smiling_face:

Still, that surge of action got us quite close to the next clue. Maybe @koichi would be willing to answer a direct a question as “is this actually the right page?” this time…

2 Likes

You know what that means…

• post garbage until we get to 5.5k!
  • Don’t do that, we should actually try.
  • Why does the slip-on footwear talked about earlier have to many local terms?
0 voters
1 Like

Turtle looooove eating unko

BOOMM!!

3 Likes

So maybe it’s an onomatopoeia? The repeated letters could be translated to use the “ー Long Vowel Mark” and those are often used in onomatopoeia.

Also, in recent posts, a-regular-durtle has been using ––. Maybe a further hint?

EDIT: Actually, a-regular-durtle is using – – not ー.

Good morning! Thanks for the confirmation that it is the right page.
I was thinking that a possibility for why the book code for one of the words could be different would be to stop us from brute force solving the puzzle without first understanding the cipher. Which wouldn’t be totally unfair on Koichi’s part. Another way to do that would have been to have all of the books in the html comments produce plausible keywords so we needed the cipher to determine the order… But with those it just came out as something garbled. Anyway maybe it could be a good idea to try thinking of different possibilities for a way to leave a clue in this format.

Now that we have decrypted the keyboard page… what did the durtle told us in the last “clue”?

I think we need “-“ in eGooott

Ahh yes, eGooott didn’t make a lot of sense, but when you consider Gooott as the modern online version as in “e-Gooott” all the pieces suddenly fall into place. Not bad.

9 Likes

eGo is a type of e-cigarette, but I’m not sure what oott is.

1 Like

Ego is what happens when I cogito.

Edit: No wait, that’s cogito ergo sum. Well, that little reference fell flat.

Um… id?

4 Likes

Okay guys, world-shatteringly important discussions of summer footwear aside (for the record, NEVER socks with sandals unless you’re Japanese), has anyone actually tried
@ragakanji 's suggestion about the number pun? “Grey turtle eating unko”?

It’s the only thing we got that isn’t a major brick wall…

@Ethan : Foot appreciation isn’t always a bad thing:

although I prefer hands:

2 Likes

and if we want to pick it apart even more cogito is also i think by itself so you would have said i i think :stuck_out_tongue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJZ-2DxrRxA Probably refers to this, so hopefully someone knows icelandic :anguished:

Your avatar makes me very happy for some reason. Did you draw that yourself?

1 Like

I think?

Anyway, it occurs to me that 憂鬱 (melancholy) written in romaji is “yuuutsu”, which has three Us in a row. Is there any similar word that’d work for the pattern of this book ciper?

1 Like

My favorite train stop is Kamioooka (上大岡), so a three-time repeating letter is not unheard-of if it represents romaji of a Japanese word. (But that one doesn’t work)

4 Likes

Goooott → Godot?

As in, trying to solve this is like waiting for Godot…

3 Likes