Descent of the Durtle into eGoooott - NOW AT B8!

Ahh, that’s true.

I see some old names still show up results for those who have changed their usernames, including some who have posted in this thread.

So, most likely @DurtleHeaven used to be StabbyMcGee or something.

Someone posted a link to this Tofugu article earlier in this thread, and in it Koichi comes down pretty hard against some other methods. Namely, “repetition is king” i.e. writing kanji over and over:

I have several problems with this method, in case you haven’t guessed already.
First, after a certain point (and that point comes very quickly), repetition doesn’t actually help you to learn something. . .
Second, the ordering here is often bad.

and Heisig:

unless you’re looking beyond the first book in the series… which you shouldn’t, because they’re not worth looking at

So, someone mentioned that Koichi talked about Cangjie in a podcast, so I guess it’s not off the table. It is a different way of typing (“different type”), and it breaks down the characters graphically (“physical descendence”?).

The text says “that is the key”. When I input “THAT” in Cangjie, I got 那 (なに) which is not in WK. This could be a dead end.

Now I’m just thinking out loud…

I think someone had grouped these codes into four groups of four:
YCNU EYTY UYTU TIOD

So what if we “subtract” “THAT” (20,8,1,20) from each group?
25,3,14,21 5,25,20,25 21,26,20,21 20,9,15,4
5,-5(21),13,1 -15(11),17,19,5 1,18,19,1 0(26),-1(25),14,-16(10)
EUMA KQSE ARSA ZYNJ

Well, those codes are gobbledy-gook if you try to enter them as Cangjie!

And tricky to anagram into English words…
QUAKY
MAZE
JAR
SNES (wait a minute - that’s not a word!)

4 Likes

Whatever the case, that user has zero progress on actual WK, so almost certainly created for forum purposes.

If the user used to be a different name… it was still created Dec15 or later.

1 Like

You’re just making me feel sorry for anyone who had a US public school education. Imagine not being taught properly the splendor that is physics and the glory that is math.

2 Likes

Turtles in Time is the best game for the SNES system.

2 Likes

:thinking:

…unfortunately, it seems to not be the password…

:durtle_stabby:

(test… ignore)

Perhaps if we order them in descending order from best to worst Turtle?

Donatello

Leonardo

Michelangelo

Raphael

I recently learned a relevant vocab:
主観
:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Humoring me for a moment… if DurtleHeaven was giving hints, what might this be referring to?

It was in response to:

1 Like

I interpreted in the context of us all talking about working on the problem - they’ve been working on this so much they haven’t seen their friends in a long long time?

1 Like

That permutation-input script works great, by the way! (credit: @Masayoshiro)

5 Likes

Yeah, the relative ordering of Leonardo and Michelangelo is still up for debate.

I mean, Leonardo is more responsible (that’s why he leads), but his weapon is kinda … meh.
Michelangelo, on the other hand, is a bit aloof, but he has has freakin’ nunchucks!

Humoring me for a moment… if DurtleHeaven was giving hints, what might this be referring to?

It was in response to:

To me it sounds like DurtleHeaven used to be in Durtle Heaven, but left. Apparently Koichi is in DurtleHeaven.

It also sounds like another time reference.

edit:
On another note, has anyone else noticed how you could twist so many different yojijukugo to fit the same situation?

1 Like

We need a way to convert turtles into kanji, just as the ancient proto-Chinese pyromancers did.

棒、(忍者)刀、双節棍、釵

1 Like

Nah, I think it was just a name-change someone did to fit the theme of the thread, then they lost interest.

@DurtleHeaven, did you change your username from something else?

And @DurtleHeaven’s next post was “All my Durtle friends” *, which is either the password itself or a reference to the person who is missing being a Durtle.

Then you get the Stabby Durtle badge.

So if it is a clue, it seems to.be saying that the answer is a Wanikanian who disappeared from the forums once the puzzle went up, who has a Stabby Durtle badge, whose name maybe fits the clues too.

While I don’t know who that is, I’m sure careful parsing of the forums would make evident.

Or just look at the page listing everyone who has Stabby Durtle and see who fits.

*Aaannnddd… it’s not. Bugger.