DEPRECATED TOPIC: English - Japanese vocabulary recall tool: KaniWani

Thank you for this great service! 

I was wondering if you could reset my account. I signed up around level 8 or so and thought I could handle unlocking all the levels at once. 

I couldn’t. Now I’m flooded with too many reviews to even attempt. 

Could you set me back to level 1?

Sorry to bother you with this and thank you again for creating the site!

Sorry if it has already been asked, but what happen if I get something wrong and keep getting it wrong? It doesn’t seem to give the answer and there are a few words I apparently can’t remember.

bm01 said... Sorry if it has already been asked, but what happen if I get something wrong and keep getting it wrong? It doesn't seem to give the answer and there are a few words I apparently can't remember.
You just have to click the 'show kanji' and 'show phonetic' buttons.

Oh… :3

A very helpful service! Really helping some of my problem vocabulary stick! Thank you for all the hard work, Tadgh11!

I just saw that you added the user defined synonyms to the question.

This tool just keeps getting better.

Many thanks.

H

Great idea, but please provide a way to lock a level.

I’m finding that with the way it unlocks vocab at the same time I do in WK that it’s getting in the way of WK’s SRS and providing me with inappropriate hints before my reviews. Ideally there’d be a 1 or 2 level lag between where I am on WK and where I am on KW.

Still loving this tool. I was just wondering if you were working on something to put synonyms together. You would not believe how long I’ve been stuck with 証 and 証明 since I can’t tell which one it’s asking for. As a temporary solution, I’ve added user synonyms here on WK to give me hints on KW as to which synonym it wants.

pgibby said... Still loving this tool. I was just wondering if you were working on something to put synonyms together. You would not believe how long I've been stuck with 証 and 証明 since I can't tell which one it's asking for. As a temporary solution, I've added user synonyms here on WK to give me hints on KW as to which synonym it wants.
 I'll be adding the ability to add synonyms on the site itself(not only through WK). it's on the way, I'm just......swamped. Thankfully I've got some help on the project now! 

ro-sutopoteto said... Great idea, but please provide a way to lock a level.

I'm finding that with the way it unlocks vocab at the same time I do in WK that it's getting in the way of WK's SRS and providing me with inappropriate hints before my reviews. Ideally there'd be a 1 or 2 level lag between where I am on WK and where I am on KW.
 Level locking is also in the pipeline, but I won't be adding a lag between WK and KW. If you want to, you'll be able to lock your current level, or any particular vocabulary within any level. Sadly it isn't quite implemented yet. 

Thanks for sticking with it while I work out all these problems!

This is awesome!  I had no idea that my recall in the other direction was so terrible >_<

Tadgh11 said...
pgibby said... Still loving this tool. I was just wondering if you were working on something to put synonyms together. You would not believe how long I've been stuck with 証 and 証明 since I can't tell which one it's asking for. As a temporary solution, I've added user synonyms here on WK to give me hints on KW as to which synonym it wants.
 I'll be adding the ability to add synonyms on the site itself(not only through WK). it's on the way, I'm just......swamped. Thankfully I've got some help on the project now! 

ro-sutopoteto said... Great idea, but please provide a way to lock a level.

I'm finding that with the way it unlocks vocab at the same time I do in WK that it's getting in the way of WK's SRS and providing me with inappropriate hints before my reviews. Ideally there'd be a 1 or 2 level lag between where I am on WK and where I am on KW.
 Level locking is also in the pipeline, but I won't be adding a lag between WK and KW. If you want to, you'll be able to lock your current level, or any particular vocabulary within any level. Sadly it isn't quite implemented yet. 

Thanks for sticking with it while I work out all these problems!

Excited to hear you're working on it!
jomteon said... This is awesome!  I had no idea that my recall in the other direction was so terrible >_<
 I learned this the hard way in my Japanese class. I wanted to show off a bit (yeah...I'm 'that guy') and use some words I knew from WK in a dialog example in class but couldn't remember any of the words I wanted. KW is definitely a wonderful complement to WK!

Great tool.  I wish I had tried it as soon as it came out.  I am good with recognition as  my original goal was to be able to read Japanese.  However, now that I’m this deep into my studies, I might as well improve my recall so I will also be able to produce Japanese right off my head.

I like how KW keeps track of your progress so you don’t have to do all the reviews all over again each time you log in.  With KW as a supplement, I am confident I will see a lot of improvement in my own vocabulary even though my level number will still be dictated by my WK progress.

EDIT: Would it be possible to lock levels as well as unlock them?  I think I would like to be able to lock my current level (14) and start with level 1, and then work my way up.  Thank you!

My recall! My terrible, terrible recall!

Putyouinmyoven said...
Tadgh11 said...
 楽しみ!
BFBullpup said...
Would it be possible to lock levels as well as unlock them?  I think I would like to be able to lock my current level (14) and start with level 1, and then work my way up.  Thank you!
+1 

Also, I unlocked all levels before I read that it has the same srs as WK and that relocking isn’t here yet. 1480 reviews…!

My mistake, but incidentally, since most people using KW have used WK for a good while, unless you really attack your KW reviews or ignore all the older levels, there will always be more to do on KW than on WK. This is too much for a side act (a wonderful side act btw!), which should be about refreshing and recall. Thus, I would like to request a way to adjust the srs to my own liking if this is feasible and  perhaps only be able to unlock things that are at guru level.
I do want to review early levels, but I don’t need to be asked for the word for dog or car again in 4 hours… We are not learning through KW, so the srs levels are too much in my opinion. Off the top of my head, if I were making my own srs, I would choose first review, 5 days later, two weeks later, 1 month later, 3 months later. Although I imagine for the lucky ones just starting WK and KW, this would be too infrequent…?

But anyway, wonderful! Thank you oh so much!

i’m just wondering how I should start with this, being level 50 and all :confused:

Poliwhirl said... i'm just wondering how I should start with this, being level 50 and all :/
 Well, I guess either from Level 1 to Level 50 or the other way around.

Well I tried it now and I fell that level 50 might not be the most useful level to learn :confused:
Anyways, I managed to do all the 80 something reviews with a 29% accuracy >.<
We’ll see how much I will spend on this. Might also be easier when I unlock some of the lower levels with more common words :wink: