DEPRECATED TOPIC: English - Japanese vocabulary recall tool: KaniWani

Weird, I found my current level to be the easiest, which is why I went to unlock all previous levels after only 10 reviews or so. Then it got tough as heck!

Awesome!!!

I definitely love Kaniwani, but I haven’t been using it lately because I feel that I need to know where my items are (e.g. apprentice, guru etc.).
Is there a way you could implement this? :slight_smile:
As it is now it feels like endless reviews that will never stop.

Glorious said... I definitely love Kaniwani, but I haven't been using it lately because I feel that I need to know where my items are (e.g. apprentice, guru etc.).
Is there a way you could implement this? :)

Workin' on it. We track the SRS level, so it's just a matter of showing it. I am currently in the middle of an extremely busy time though, so it'll have to wait until the next major patch.  

Cheers.
Tadgh11 said...
Glorious said... I definitely love Kaniwani, but I haven't been using it lately because I feel that I need to know where my items are (e.g. apprentice, guru etc.).
Is there a way you could implement this? :)

Workin' on it. We track the SRS level, so it's just a matter of showing it. I am currently in the middle of an extremely busy time though, so it'll have to wait until the next major patch.  

Cheers.
 Wow! Thank you for answering.
Great to hear that you're working on it!
And no worries, I will gladly wait for the next patch while I do my reviews^^
Tadgh11 said...
ro-sutopoteto said... Great idea, but please provide a way to lock a level.

I'm finding that with the way it unlocks vocab at the same time I do in WK that it's getting in the way of WK's SRS and providing me with inappropriate hints before my reviews. Ideally there'd be a 1 or 2 level lag between where I am on WK and where I am on KW.
 Level locking is also in the pipeline, but I won't be adding a lag between WK and KW. If you want to, you'll be able to lock your current level, or any particular vocabulary within any level. Sadly it isn't quite implemented yet. 

Thanks for sticking with it while I work out all these problems!

Okay, thanks. By the way, will you/do you have an external API for this? I'd like to try my hand at writing a unified mobile app for this and WK.

are you aware of the existing kaniwani tool? it seems to do the same task although I will say yours does look a little nicer

Hey! I’ve been messing with my account settings a bit, and I seem to have come across an issue…
Whenever I sign into my account, all the page says is “Server error 500” or something other
I would imagine that this is due to me changing my API as of recently?

adamu said... are you aware of the existing kaniwani tool? it seems to do the same task although I will say yours does look a little nicer
 He is aware - see his  post on the 3rd page of this thread.  The other KW hasn't been updated in a year.
GreenWarrior said... Hey! I've been messing with my account settings a bit, and I seem to have come across an issue...
Whenever I sign into my account, all the page says is "Server error 500" or something other
I would imagine that this is due to me changing my API as of recently?
Most likely. It shouldn't happen though. email your username(on kw) and your current API key to tadgh@cs.toronto.edu and I'll get it fixed first thing in the morning. I'll dig through the logs and find out what's going on.

ro-sutopoteto said...
Tadgh11 said...
ro-sutopoteto said... Great idea, but please provide a way to lock a level.

I'm finding that with the way it unlocks vocab at the same time I do in WK that it's getting in the way of WK's SRS and providing me with inappropriate hints before my reviews. Ideally there'd be a 1 or 2 level lag between where I am on WK and where I am on KW.
 Level locking is also in the pipeline, but I won't be adding a lag between WK and KW. If you want to, you'll be able to lock your current level, or any particular vocabulary within any level. Sadly it isn't quite implemented yet. 

Thanks for sticking with it while I work out all these problems!

Okay, thanks. By the way, will you/do you have an external API for this? I'd like to try my hand at writing a unified mobile app for this and WK.
I would love to tell you it's in the pipeline, but I haven't even started thinking about that yet. I would like to get there at some point, but I have a lot of crucial functionality I want to build up before exposing it in a public API. My goal as well is to build a mobile app for it (though a unified one would be super cool).

Cheers!

I signed up and it won’t let me log in :frowning:

Super helpful service! Thank you so much! c:

Lovely tool. Thanks for this. Easier to learn to write the kanji with this. o7

elektrikelle said... I signed up and it won't let me log in :(
 I've removed your account, try signing up again. 
Sorry about that!

I just signed up & used kaniwani for the first time.

Very nice!

It worked perfectly. I can see a LOT of potential for adding some other features–as I am hoping you will do. I would be willing to help do some editing or other similar type of work if, and when, you ever need some extra  volunteer help.

Good job and thank you.

I’m currently getting a server error message on kaniwani right now. Is it just me or…?

EDIT: nvm, it’s back on now.

alhorn71191 said... I'm currently getting a server error message on kaniwani right now. Is it just me or..?

EDIT: nvm, it's back on now.
 Memory leak in one of the third party tools I'm using. Fixed.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention!
Tadgh11 said...
alhorn71191 said... I'm currently getting a server error message on kaniwani right now. Is it just me or..?

EDIT: nvm, it's back on now.
 Memory leak in one of the third party tools I'm using. Fixed.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention!
 Thanks for the quick response!

I must say that I’ve really been enjoying Kaniwani. I never realized how much I relied on visual cues to help me out with vocab.

Unfortunately I can’t really enjoy this until the relocking ability is available. I logged in at level 8 and left because I wasn’t ready to start recall. Now I’m back and level 8 - 13 is unlocked. I’m not ready for this, I would rather start from level 1 and work my way upwards. Why should I be required to do recall on stuff I’m still learning? I would love an “enlightened words only” filter.