DEPRECATED TOPIC: English - Japanese vocabulary recall tool: KaniWani

dmitrim said... any source code available for this? I would like to take a look and maybe contribute :)
 It's closed at the moment, but if you're interested in contributing, ping me at tadgh@cs.toronto.edu and we can chat. 

I’m having an issue doing the reviews right when they come up. It was working before, but I just tried and I keep getting two word reviews, then when I finish it tells me my next review is in something like 12 seconds.

Maybe add some bias to the review queue so that if a bunch are going to become available within a couple minutes of each other to wait until they all become available?

Jsor said... I'm having an issue doing the reviews right when they come up. It was working before, but I just tried and I keep getting two word reviews, then when I finish it tells me my next review is in something like 12 seconds.

Maybe add some bias to the review queue so that if a bunch are going to become available within a couple minutes of each other to wait until they all become available?
 Currently the SRS system runs every 15 minutes and updates all users. If left on its own, you will get reviews on every 15-minute mark. Unfortunately, the "next reviews in" actually grabs the closest review, and you're able to manually force the SRS system to run if you hit the little refresh button. At some point I will likely remove this button and just push "next reviews in" to the next 15-minute mark for consistency. 

I am not the sharpest tool in the box computerwise. What exactly is an API? I thought it was for developers or something like that? Do I need an API to do kaniwani? If so, how do I get one?

Thanks!!

Telmann said... I am not the sharpest tool in the box computerwise. What exactly is an API? I thought it was for developers or something like that? Do I need an API to do kaniwani? If so, how do I get one?

Thanks!!
 I can't give you an accurate definition, but if you go to settings in WaniKani you have the option of generating an API key. Do that, then copy and paste it where it is asked on KaniWani. And yes, you do need an API key to use KaniWani.
Telmann said... I am not the sharpest tool in the box computerwise. What exactly is an API? I thought it was for developers or something like that? Do I need an API to do kaniwani? If so, how do I get one?

Thanks!!
 API: Application-Programming-Interface
Or simply the API provides you with usable variables, functions etc to make coding easier.
This is usually used for systems like WK where the community should be able to create their own content/functions/apps/...

The API key, which can be found in the "account settings" or at the "API" page is used for the KaniWani (which is a website administrated by someone of our community) to know which userdata to use (aka the "api key" tells the system which user's data to refer to).

Technically if somebody has your API key they can mess up your progress etc, but I think every usercontent so far is safe to use and many to most are great to supplement your WK studies.
So just be cautious to not tell everybody your API key, but you don't have to worry about applications like KaniWani etc.

Here's a list of useful community content btw:
/t/The-New-And-Improved-List-Of-API-and-Third-Party-Apps/7694/1
RayderBlitz said...Technically if somebody has your API key they can mess up your progress etc, but I think every usercontent so far is safe to use and many to most are great to supplement your WK studies.
So just be cautious to not tell everybody your API key, but you don't have to worry about applications like KaniWani etc.
I'm not sure how kaniwani works - but if you login via an API key, that anyone can reuse, and not via a set account then yes.
If you speak about wanikani's progress, no, you cannot. The API is read-only.

It is safe to post your API key, but anyone can then read your custom notes/mnemonic stuff you've added and synonyms for your items, along with your normal progress - read, not edit.
tweetie said...

Thanks!!
 I can't give you an accurate definition, but if you go to settings in WaniKani you have the option of generating an API key. Do that, then copy and paste it where it is asked on KaniWani. And yes, you do need an API key to use KaniWani.
 Thanks Tweetie and other people who replied. Kaniwani is very useful I think!

I’d like to report a minor issue. 
尾 (お)isn’t accepted as an answer for Tail. Instead, it accepts only 尻尾 (しっぽ) which technically I shouldn’t know until 2 levels later.

Thank you for all your work on KaniWani.

Whatever you guys do, don’t unlock all of your previous levels at once. I know you all probably wouldn’t do that anyway, but as a heads up, it’s irreversible. I learned this the hard way… :’^(

Todzik said... I'd like to report a minor issue. 
尾 (お)isn't accepted as an answer for Tail. Instead, it accepts only 尻尾 (しっぽ) which technically I shouldn't know until 2 levels later.

Thank you for all your work on KaniWani.

That's definitely a bug. It should accept either.

Edit: Fixed

V41 said... Whatever you guys do, don't unlock all of your previous levels at once. I know you all probably wouldn't do that anyway, but as a heads up, it's irreversible. I learned this the hard way... :'^(
 email me at tadgh@cs.toronto.edu and I can re-lock your account. 

Since I use your website on a regular basis I just wanted to drop by and mention that if you need a helping hand with CSS and/or HTML I might be able to help you, since I have some (not really all too perfect but nevertheless) experience with those.
I should probably also warn you that I’m chaotic and probably not the person best suited for design (if it’s coming up with one at least).
Nevertheless, in case you’d like me to help out a little feel free to let me know and I’ll see what I can do.

Also, great website, I like it and will continue to use it (<-- this part kinda feels like a deja vu). c(°_:_°)つ

great site, really usefull! :slight_smile:

Any chance you can make the site responsive to kanji input? I’m on a macbook that accepts trackpad-drawn kanji, so the ability to write out kanji in my answers would really help my writing practice.

Aleithian said... Any chance you can make the site responsive to kanji input? I'm on a macbook that accepts trackpad-drawn kanji, so the ability to write out kanji in my answers would really help my writing practice.
 One day....

It's on the list. It'll be done Soon™
Tadgh11 said...
Aleithian said... Any chance you can make the site responsive to kanji input? I'm on a macbook that accepts trackpad-drawn kanji, so the ability to write out kanji in my answers would really help my writing practice.
 One day....

Are you able to make the source public or share it with me if not go the whole hog? I can contriboot.
distantgrey said...
Tadgh11 said...
 One day....

Are you able to make the source public or share it with me if not go the whole hog? I can contriboot.
 Email me @ tadgh@cs.toronto.edu

Just started to use this today, it’s really helpful, now I can see that my English-Japanese recall is really bad, and practicing this should really help my Japanese-English skills because now I will be able to translate both ways, thanks for the site!

Tadgh11 said...
 One day....

Haha. Cool, thanks. :)

I can help out with the website design