Definitions of する nouns

I have a recurring problem with remembering the correct meanings of certain する nouns. It happened today with 展開. I got it wrong with the answer “develop”. The WK definition is “development”, but the する form is “to develop”. Is there any reason why I shouldn’t add “develop” as a synonym? I’ve had a similar experience with several するnouns. I feel like when I’m reading, I usually just need to have a general sense of the meaning of a word, and the shades of difference between “develop” and “development” will be unimportant in putting together the overall meaning of the sentence.

I try a lot of the time to have faith that WK does things for a reason, and not go crazy with adding synonyms that might leave me with incorrect understandings about a word. But it’s also frustrating to miss a word and feel like “but what I put was basically the same thing”.

1 Like

It’s the difference of being a noun vs it being a verb. If you are clear about the difference and just want to associate the “develop concept” with these two kanjis I don’t think there is a particular reason why you shouldn’t add it.

On the other hand if you know that it’s a noun since it has no suru it shouldn’t be too hard to rembember that it can’t be develop but needs to be developement.

This quote lets me think that it would lower your frustration with the platform. And since I don’t think it will have a big negative impact anyhow I would advise to go for it.

EDIT: What I feel is more important than your original question is that you associate the correct “develop” concept with the kanjis. Done by looking carefully at the example sentences and the other english translations for it. Otherwise you get mixups with 開発 for example…

5 Likes

Ah, yes, this is a much bigger problem, and one I sometimes wish WK did more to address. It had honestly not even occurred to me to compare the nuance of meanings between those two words. But I recently learned 我, and was left very confused. I know a bunch of other versions of “I” - 私、わたくし、あたし、僕、俺 - but I’ve never heard of 我 before, and have no idea why one would use it or what connotation it carries

Without the する attached, 展開 is a noun, and WK accepting only the noun definition is reasonable to me. If you look up 展開 in a Japanese dictionary, the defnitions will be for the noun meaning.

It will have a スル in the entry to indicate that it can become a verb, but it won’t define it as a verb.

But the synonyms are there for users to do as they see fit.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.