Crabsmas riddle? Durtle Heaven finally near?

Something I’ve noticed about URLs for those trying to find new ones(on Chrome at least) - you can see if the page you tried to access is a folder or not by looking at the end of the URL. If you leave the end of the page you’re trying to find blank (like writing crabigator.church instead of crabigator.church/), and it is a folder that doesn’t have a file called index.html, it adds a / to the end. If that folder has an index.html file, you automatically get forwarded to it that instead.

So if you type in crabigator.church/allhailcrabigator to the URL box:
-If allhailcrabigator is a folder in the parent directory, the URL becomes crabigator.church/allhailcrabigator/ and the browser gives the page-not-found replacement page
-If allhailcrabigator is a folder in the parent directory and has a file named index.html in it, the URL becomes crabigator.church/allhailcrabigator/index.html and the browser displays that page
-If allhailcrabigator is a .html file in the parent directory, the URL in the box won’t change and the browser will display that page

Rather lengthy, but hopefully this’ll prove useful for someone. Maybe in a case like the hell entrance one, where /intranet/hell isn’t the page but /hell/entrance is, it’ll help us to not miss something important like hell being the folder, not the actual page.

11 Likes

I’ve been using this tactic a lot myself, just trying different key words out. durtle, heaven, kanji, crabigator… I’ve not found anything yet, and I’m not sure there is anything to find. Barring a new site update, I’m pretty sure our next step is just to wait for these membership packets!

5 Likes

I’ve been wanting to use some tool to try a dictionary in order brute-force combinations of known words to see if I find anything, but been too busy to actually get into it

Can’t think of how to start that essay. :sob:

3 Likes

I just got myself up to speed on your descent last year… I’m speechless. Also, brain dead. Also… eGoooott?
now I’m kinda scared to send my application :grimacing:

15 Likes

If this is the case, I hope someone from the US gets their packet soon bc what are we supposed to do in the meantime?!
I just sent my application but who knows when it will reach the Church, let alone receiving anything. Though maybe this is the kind of prayer the Crabigator was refering to…

5 Likes

I’m only one state away, and USPS says my application should arrive tomorrow. Here’s hoping! Though it does say that membership processing takes a long time…

I can only hope there will be more website updates for us to dig into in the meantime!

5 Likes

eGoooott…

Pff. Discourse says “body seems unclear, was that a complete sentence?” and won’t let me post. Clearly, Discourse is unschooled in the way of the Durtle.

21 Likes

For referer? I said Koichi-sama because…I have no idea why.

4 Likes

I’ve tried all of those but kanji. Is there anywhere we list words/URLs that we’ve tried? May speed things up seeing what doesn’t work and having a list of what could inspire someone to think of something important

2 Likes

I just read this entire thread. Noticed a link to the descent from last year - guess I better get reading again! :sweat_smile:

I really want to help with the detective work but since I have no idea what most of you clever people are doing with the htmls and codey thingies I will have to content myself to watching from the sidelines. I’m cheering you all on! がんばって! :partying_face:

I want to send in the membership application but I’m worried I’ll miss out since I have no idea how long it takes to send post from Japan and I can’t post it until Monday!
Wrote that out and then decided that I’m doing it anyway - anything for the mighty crabigator! May the holy light of the crabigator guide my application to the accepted pile! :crabigator:

10 Likes

Are we looking for pages that put up the message:
‘Error Page. You did something wrong to come here. What are you looking for, secrets? Ha. You think there are secrets hidden within the Crabigatorism website? Go back to your National Treasure movies, you amateur.’?
If so, https://crabigator.church/crabigatorism/intranet.html puts up that message as well.

2 Likes

Nah, that message shows up for literally any page that doesn’t exist. You can put any gibberish you want as a URL and you’ll probably get that message.

2 Likes

Okay thanks!

1 Like

Yep, you’re absolutely correct. :slightly_smiling_face:

https://crabigator.church/any%20gibberish%20you%20want

8 Likes

I wonder if they have some 404 monitoring tool on their site. Must be funny to see all of our attempts.

8 Likes

Depending on their server configuration, they may have a log of our requests to the server, I think.

Judging by the headers returned by requests to the site, I have reason to believe they’re using GitHub Pages to host this rather than their own servers, so unfortunately I doubt they do.

I agree though, that would have been a really interesting log. :smile:

4 Likes

Only a few hours left for them to keep that “New Updates Daily” statement true…

Since I don’t have a fancy monitoring server like @Eearslya, guess I’m just gonna sit here F5-ing the night away! :smile:

2 Likes

I was thinking the same! I wonder if we really do just have to wait for the mail…

Though there should be at least some kind of update soon, as membership applications start arriving.

4 Likes