Could someone explain this?

Is it possible to make use of this particular semantic phonetic composition? Both the reading and character stroke makeup confuse me

Usually when you see things like that it just means that the shapes were simplified or changed.

礼 was originally 禮, and 体 was 體

The characters got simplified but maintained the phonetics of the original forms.

2 Likes

ok, why is 豊’s own reading ほう though?

My kanji origin dictionary says that the right side of the old 礼 and 体 is not the same character as 豊, the kanji with the reading ほう, so that’s why they don’t share a phonetic link. Like, when you look up either character, it makes a point of saying the other one is not this one. They do look identical though. That happens sometimes. So 豊 is read ほう because it has its own separate origin.

1 Like

Alright thanks, that sounds messed up though. They’re not the same character even though they look exactly the same. How are you supposed to tell.

It’s kind of like a homophone in visual form. Two things converging on the same shape despite not being related. Similarly, the 艮 in something like 根 and the 艮 in 退 are not the same 艮.

The 艮 in 根 originally looked like this

退 as a whole looked like this

And you can see that the original 艮 never shows up in the original 退, but they both got converted to the same shape over time.

1 Like

I see, thank you very much for your answer.