Considering changing the font-weight of radicals, kanji, and vocabulary

On kanji I’ve encountered to date I don’t feel like the font weight has ever made things difficult to see, but just the same - a lighter weight wouldn’t be a bad thing.

As an aside, the real challenge is training yourself to recognize computer font kanji (especially only one font) and then encountering a wide variety of print and hand-written characters in the wild. Vastly, vastly more difficult to recognize at a glance.

5 Likes

I’m going to disagree with…apparently everyone and say, at least at least aesthetically I prefer the heavier version.

That being said, one issue I’ve encountered, mostly with newer kanji, is seeing them at a more normal text size sometimes makes me confuse them compared to doing them on a big screen. Usually the level of detail you get in a review session is far higher than when reading. I do sometimes shrink my browser window and do reviews at a smaller resolution because of it.

8 Likes

Looks good. Carry on. Thank you.

1 Like

You might like this script: https://community.wanikani.com/t/jitai-字体-the-font-randomizer-that-fits. It randomizes the font you see review items in so that you can work on exactly this kind of recognition :slight_smile:

6 Likes

This is a great idea! I think it will especially improve legibility in the dashboard, and it looks nicer.

Before:

After:

4 Likes

The lighter font looks great!

T H I C C :+1:

YES, PLEASE! I like the “normal” thickness–may make it a bit easier to recognize them in the wild too, because it looks more like text you see everywhere. The thin one seems a bit too hard to see.

The pain. Oh, the pain.

1 Like

I love the lighter font!

Would you consider making this a toggleable option in the settings? I recognise the value in added clarity, but find the thicker characters more aesthetically pleasing and prefer them overall, so I would like to continue using them.

5 Likes

There are userscripts around where you can randomize (and I think select) the font that appears. This is definitely one of the less controversial changes WK has proposed, because it really does look closer to what you see in the real world, so I’m all for the change.

1 Like

I like the normal, it is easier to see. Now how about fixing the radicals that don’t match… I think it’s morning that is very very thick and guard that is in some other font style altogether?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.