Coddiwomple-ing through WaniKani - A study log

Level 6 Plan :star: :spiral_calendar: :thinking: :memo: :crescent_moon:
I have read a significant number of posts that describe learning a small number of radicals and kanji every day. I will try this method for level 6.
(I believe many of those posters also intended to take more than nine days for their level, but these are the fast levels so nine days is the plan!)

Day 1-4 is part one. It covers all 113 lessons I had available on level up. I do 1/4 of the radicals twice a day for the first two days (they are so easy and tasty it is hard to restrict myself to just 1/4!) and 1/8 of the available kanji (K1) twice a day for the first four days. Because I still want to reach 0/0 at some point this level (the 0/0 club is too fun! I am on a 5 level streak right now :v: I can’t skip level 6, even if it is intentional :sob:) I want to have all my lessons done before my radicals and kanji from this morning reach guru and unlock yet more lessons :muscle:.

Day 5-9 is part two. All remaining 144 level 6 items (+3 that haven’t unlocked yet due to one delayed kanji) are learned over 5 days. As the kanji unlock I complete them, I don’t know how even the spread will be as some radicals may unlock more or less than others, and I may have a few late unlocks due to getting radicals wrong, but they will all be learned by ~day 7, making my level up date ~day 9. Vocabulary will also be unlocking at this point, at an even more unpredictable pace. To try and smooth this out, my plan is to learn half the available vocabulary items at a time, as more Kanji should be reaching Guru at each morning/evening review. Or, I will just cover 5-10 vocabulary as mood and availability allows.

Morning of the 10th is potential level up!

Day Morning Lessons Evening Lessons SRS notes Item Notes Self Study Quiz
1: 26/6 R6, K3, V10 [*] R5, K3, V7 [*] 21R over 4 sessions [*]
2: 27/6 R5, K3, V7 [*] R5, K3, V8 [*] Radicals complete 22K1 over 8 sessions [*]
3: 28/6 K3, V9 [*] K3, V9 [*] 70 Vocab over 8 sessions (+3) [*]
4: 29/6 K2, V10 [*] K2, V10 [*] Radicals and Kanji1 start reaching Guru tonight. If I do my lessons early this is 0/0 chance [*]
5: 30/6 ~5K, 1/2 V 10K* 5V [*] ~5K 10 V [*] [*]
6: 1/7 4K, 1/2 V [*] 4K 1/2 V [*] All R Guru, all K1 Guru [*]
7: 2/7 1K 4V [*] 10 V [*] [*]
8: 3/7 1/2 V [*] 1/2 V [*]
9: 4/7 1/2 V 1/2 V
10: 5/7 … R?, K?, V? All K2 Guru. Possible level up!
  • This is a ‘steady pace’ plan, let’s see how I like it! …It does not quite make the ‘slow’ category, averaging 29 lessons a day.
    (I already want to go back and do all the radicals.)
    (Maybe the temptation of those lessons can be a motivation to do leach squashing… I can’t do one part of the SRS system, so distract myself with another? :thinking:)
  • I am not going to try for a specific hour for lessons/reviews, taking lessons some time between 6-10 is regular enough for me.
  • The level up email says this is the level to “control your Lessons and do your reviews every day”. It’s like こうち is watching me… (o_o*)
  • Out of curiosity, I did the maths. (disclaimer: I have not checked the maths. Lessons per day x 3.5 = total apprentice items with perfect accuracy and timing?). With perfect accuracy, 29 lessons a day produces an apprentice volume of 101.5 items. Surely no one, no where, has ever suggested keeping apprentice items below 100 is a useful rule of thumb :sweat_smile: Full steam ahead! :steam_locomotive::grey_exclamation::exclamation:
  • In light of my probable accuracy demands, I am adding a ‘self study quiz’ column.
  • I found the thread that got me thinking about this pattern.
  • I made my 0/0 goal! :checkered_flag: :star: :confetti_ball: Plsplspls don’t end up regretting taking all these lessons on such a busy few days :sweat_smile:
  • *As I did Tuesday morning lessons on my phone, they were completed in vanilla order. All the kanji (I believe it was 10) and 5 vocabulary. In order to slow my level up, I should complete no more kanji tonight 30/06/2020
    *Thursday, Day 7: with only feeling like taking 15 lessons today I felt I was going rather slow. However, there were only four more lessons available anyway when I did my evening session at 6pm. Now that I have finished my reviews, at 10pm, there are only 14 lessons available, and no more unlocking until 2pm tomorrow. Perhaps I shall chalk this one up to the guru-ed kanji not having that many associated vocabulary items. 66+14 vocabulary items to go!
6 Likes