Can we have options to throw vocabs away?

Or that the general user is lazy like me. I could benefit from reordering lessons, but I can’t bring myself to spend the incredible amount of 5 minutes of time that it takes to install the script.

10 Likes

It’s just 6 simple new words lol. You’ll probably take a total of a minute at max to do them because five of them are from level 1 and one of them is from level 10.

And an option that allows you to throw unwanted vocabulary like that away may spiral into you gradually throwing more and more and more vocabulary, which kind of defeats the purpose of WaniKani using vocabulary to reinforce the Kanji that you’ve learned. Which is also why I’m against using the Reorder script to avoid Vocabulary altogether

16 Likes

The sheer volume of senseless complaining in this thread is making me feel a lot better about my life.

Imagine being so priviledged that having to spend a few extra minutes learning vocab is the biggest issue in your life.

44 Likes

God forbid someone critique a service they’re paying for.

35 Likes

I think one solution could be you could just add a synonym and just put the letter ‘a’ or something like that for all the vocab you don’t want to bother yourself with. That way you can burn them without needing to look up their meaning every time. That’s essentially the same as skipping them.

18 Likes

I did exactly that lol :d I agree with the OP honestly, it’d be nice to not have them if you’re past a certain level.

5 Likes

I second to that. Allowing users to be able to discard some words (whatever ones reason might be) is a great idea and i wish that was implemented.

3 Likes

I would love to throw some vocab away too, seriously there are some vocab that I find impossible to burn because I don’t even know what they mean in English lmao. Being neither American nor Japanese I am not at all familiar with baseball or any of its arcane terms … Discarding ‘sacrifice fly’(犠打/ 犠飛), and ‘double play’(併殺) for example, would indeed spark some joy.

21 Likes

While we’re at it, maybe we could throw a few kanji away. Maybe no one will notice.
Heck, there might be a whole level we could toss.

12 Likes

Well. I would not mind getting rid of levels altogether and have the Radicals, Kanji and Vocab
in 3 big lists so the user can manage their apprentice level precisely instead of the up and down between the start and end of a level that we have right now.

But i thought that would be too much of a big change to suggest right away.

I’m frankly quite surprised someone is complaining about new content being added to the system. The words are, quite frankly, a triviality at most, and the more exposure to various parts of the language, the better. Learning a language involves the ingestion of thousands of new words, so the addition of a few new ones into a service is nothing.

If the management of Wanikani is not suited to your tastes, perhaps Anki may be a better alternative for you?

24 Likes

(I am piggy-backing off of your comment here mostly because it’s the last in the thread so far, but my thoughts are more general. Sorry about that)

I think this discussion is a mountain out of a molehill, but it is a valid complaint. On the one hand, the standard response to the people who ask “Why isn’t X here?” is “It’s meant to efficiently teach the kanji. Nothing more.” and on the other hand is the “Why is Y here?” the answer is “Because we want you to have a rounded learning experience,” and “Why are you complaining about extra content?”

Those two responses are incompatible with one another. I mean, if WK is about efficiency of learning kanji, then these new words and the whole transitive/intransitive pairs thing is the entirely wrong approach. It’s trying to be a value-add, which may or may not be appropriate for every user. It dilutes WK. Why these words, then, when so many other common words are excluded? What are they adding to the system, specifically? ベッドの下 teaches no new reading you don’t already know from vocabulary already here, for example. What’s the point?

And if it’s not about efficiency, what is it about? Cause that’s what everyone keeps saying it’s all about, even the WK website.

Is it a big deal? Not by itself, no. But they’ve got a boatload of these blocks of new vocabulary coming. Is 10 redundant words too much? 100? Where’s the breaking point?

I tend to think WK should have a way to suppress vocab you don’t need/use. If the vocab is getting in the way, it’s not doing its job. For example, leeches in particular are decidedly inefficient and most SRS provide some way of removing them. WK doesn’t and it’s an itch that is un-scratchable at present. The sheer number of threads dealing with leech squashing tells us this is an issue for many users. But I’m not holding my breath for that one, even though I think it would be an enormous boon for nearly everyone.

On the whole, I’m not too concerned by these additions. They’re not that big a deal. But I’m not really in favor of them, either I’d prefer WK stay focused on what it does well and not clutter itself up with stuff outside that is too far outside that focus.

23 Likes

That’s easy to resolve: just add ‘subjective answer’ as a synonym to all these items.

4 Likes

So, you are sure that the number of users using the site only from mobile devices, on which you don’t have the option to install scripts, is small as well? I don’t find it justified to buy a PC solely so that I could install Wanikani scripts, and the usefulness of the site is lower for me for this reason.

7 Likes

You don’t need a PC though? There are already third party apps that have popular scripts built into them like Flaming Durtles. IOS also has a popular app, though I couldn’t name it since I don’t use it lol

3 Likes

Sounds to me you don’t want a structured learning experience. Are you sure you wouldn’t be better off with an Anki deck rather than WaniKani? Feels like that would solve all of your issues.

26 Likes

Perhaps it’s just me but I’m glad they teach the seemingly useless words because they still could come up in conversation or reading. But if I’ve encountered a word before yet still have to “learn” it then I agree that’s definitely annoying!

11 Likes

Both of the most popular mobile apps (FlamingDurtles for Android and Tsurukame for iOS) have the features of popular scripts built in - lesson and review reordering, double-check, timelines, etc.

4 Likes

Ikr. How dare a paying customer have something to say? And that too a feature request?! The nerve.

11 Likes

if you already know the vocabs getting them through all the SRS stages is no problem. takes seconds at a time. if you don’t, why not be happy you get to learn more? as someone still learning the basic of the language i’m not sure i’m even able to decide what’s important and what isn’t.

“wasted time” and “clogged up lessons” sounds like there’s a race to level 60.
there isn’t.

15 Likes