Can I get a simple Onyomi & Kunyomi explanation for use with WaniKani?

Hi all, apologies as I do understand there are similar threads out there.

Basically I’m getting so confused with the reading of this (I know this is partially my fault that I didn’t learn it earlier). When I learn the kanji I just think of it as a kanji reading, and when I start vocab I’ve just been remembering which type of reading to use (a lot of which are new I guess).

To add confusion I’m learning numbers at the start that has one reading, but then apparently we use another but thats only for numbers for some reason.

To put the question simply does learning the kanji always give me the onyomi reading while the vocab uses onyomi and kunyomi depending on situation. Or does the kanji just sort of ask for a specific meaning but you don’t really know which until it tells you it wants the other, and you just have to remember?

2 Likes

The kanji items can be either onyomi or kunyomi, but onyomi is much more common. Both are accepted, but if you answer with the opposite it’ll shake and ask for the other.

When a vocab item is a single kanji, it can be either onyomi or kunyomi, and it just depends on the word. Some kanji can have both, where the meaning changes with the reading as a single kanji vocab.

Basically, when counting just numbers alone, you typically use the onyomi (though some numbers have the option to be read as kunyomi).

When counting things (like 1 small object, or 10 people), whether the onyomi or kunyomi is used varies by counter.

I’m guessing that doesn’t make things easier for you exactly, but you’ll get accustomed to onyomi and kunyomi with experience.

10 Likes

I’m guessing that doesn’t make things easier for you exactly, but you’ll get accustomed to onyomi and kunyomi with experience.

While I wouldn’t say easier, it does clarify some things for me, where I’m expecting it to work one way but knowing it doesn’t work that way now helps make sure I don’t make it a bad habit of assumption. Thanks so much mate.

3 Likes

I got same problem when i started. You get used to it. Welcome to the community.

7 Likes

Just wanted to add, during lesson it tells you which kind it is =)
And more often than not it is on’yomi. So I always try on’yomi first if I’m not sure =P
Screenshot 2020-02-12 at 19.00.13

2 Likes