[Browser Extension] WaniKani Kanji Highlighter 2021

Yeah, it didn’t worry me, just wanted to point out as I had to read the source code before I could figure out it was due to the subscription, as the actual error was obfuscated: image

1 Like

Oh, I wasn’t expecting that behaviour from the popup message. Thank you so much for pointing it out, I’m going to fix it!

1 Like

does it take the WK token to highlight already learned items on a webpage?

Yes, the API token is needed for everything! It is the only way the app can access your WaniKani data. By the way, I remember you asked for this extension to be on Firefox. I have sent it for approval, and it may be available in a few weeks (if they approve, which is very likely).

2 Likes

Awesome extension, thanks. I’m concerned about the privacy warning on the browser, should I be?

1 Like

I’m very glad you liked it! Could you please send me a screenshot of the warning? It might be because the extension needs many permissions, such as the webpage content, the local storage of the the browser, etc.

1 Like

I can’t atm (no computer around) but it says something like “you will allow this extension to read any content on the webpages you go to”

1 Like

Yes, it’s what I thought. The app needs to scan all the words in the webpage to find the kanji to highlight. But no information is saved outside your environment! Everything that needs to be stored is always within your browser, and then deleted whenever you clear the cache.

1 Like

Ok, thank you !

1 Like

If you are still interested, the extension is now available for Firefox, at WaniKani Kanji Highlighter – Get this Extension for 🦊 Firefox (en-US)

1 Like

Time to update the thread title!

1 Like

You’re right! Going to change right now thanks :grin:

This is great so far, thank you! The lesson/review countdown is a nice touch. Is there a save button for the custom colours that I’m not seeing though? I can’t seem to keep any of the colours I’m trying to set for learned/not learned kanji.

1 Like

Thank you a lot! So good that you like it. It should update right away after changing it. I’ll look into it, though.

1 Like

Are you using the extension in Chrome or Firefox?

Sorry for the late reply - I’m using Chrome, but I tried it again on my work computer and it works a treat. I think the computer I use for studying is just too old to run the extension properly!

1 Like

I’m glad it works somewhere! Haha
Yes, it sometimes can be an issue. Either the computer or the version of the browser.
You can try and run the extension on Mozilla Firefox if you want. WaniKani Kanji Highlighter – Get this Extension for 🦊 Firefox (en-US)

1 Like

Just passing by to let you know that you no longer need to have a subscription to use the extension!

Great extension! I wanted to ask, is anyone having any issues with Youtube while this extension is active? I’ve been getting a lot of cases where the current video title, and all those in the recommended section, don’t correspond with their thumbnails nor their link destinations. Works fine when I disable this extension sitewide, though. Are others having the same experience? I’m on Firefox, if that’s relevant.

1 Like

Thank you so much! I’m glad you like it!
Yes, I am aware of that bug, I’m sorry about that! I am still trying to figure out what is causing it and hopefully I’ll fix it soon.
Meanwhile, you can blacklist Youtube in the extension popup, if you wish to use the highlight on another websites while having it disabled only on youtube.

1 Like