Borrowed phrases or words that don't carry the original meaning when used in Japan

Ah sorry very vigorous auto complete.

2 Likes

I don’t think this is a borrowing, but in Japanese, pulling someone’s leg (足を引っ張る)means holding them back, not telling a joke.

6 Likes

my first thought was cunning :laughing:

Also ミス as a mistake

3 Likes

Yup, I live in one of those $$$$ hahaha

1 Like

A German loanword mashup is アルバイト which comes from Arbeit. The German word means „work“ (or „job“, depending on context) but in Japanese it specifically means part-time job.
I guess the Japanese think that we Germans are slackers and that our day jobs are comparable to Japanese part-time jobs :rofl:

10 Likes

For the lucky individuals who only have 35 hour weeks in Germany, I can see where people who work 60 or 70 hours a week might view this as “part-time” although it is considered “full-time”.

One I hear from time to time is the standalone phrase 「ドンマイ」, which comes from the English phrase “don’t mind” but means “don’t worry about it”.

This is more or less true, although I believe “American dogs” are made with wheat batter, so “corn dog” would technically be incorrect. Granted, “American dog” is also a misnomer, so it’s kind of a moot point.

3 Likes

Yeah, in Japan they seem to have a strong focus on “time spent in the office” - regardless of the output.
Although, to be fair, 35-hour-jobs are not the norm in Germany (I only ever had 40-hour-jobs) and there are many people who also do 60-70 hours a week.

2 Likes

I find ベランダ used to mean balcony quite confusing.

4 Likes

I’m too lazy to read the thread right now. Has any mentioned “straight” tea?

I thought straight tea would mean no sugar and just tea. Straight up tea.

I got a mouthfull of sugar.

3 Likes

What, like 午後の紅茶? I guess they mean “not ミルクティー or レモンティー,” the other two products in that line.

1 Like

I thought straight meant unsweetened :sob:

4 Likes

Ah, yeah, they do have you covered, you just have to look for the “sugarless straight tea” lol :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Veranda is the English word although it may be more commonly used in England and the commonwealth.

2 Likes

But veranda means porch rather than balcony, or am I mistaken here? At least that’s the meaning of the German word Veranda…

4 Likes

I’ve heard it used for any outdoor enclosed space but that was in places like Hawaii. That could just be Japanese influence the other way.

At least in French ‘veranda’ has a unique meaning of a porch surrounded by windows. If you call a balcony a veranda people will definitely not understand.

2 Likes

I think that may be an error.

You can convert a mansion to multiple flats, but a flat/apartment could only ever be a mansion sarcastically.

3 Likes

This site, which says it is “Powered by Oxford,” lists “a large block of flats” as a British English meaning as well.

1 Like

In Polish “weranda” can mean a porch, but also a, how to say it, enclosed balcony - with ceiling and windows. (Or maybe I’ve been misusing the word my whole life :open_mouth: )

2 Likes