Better differentiate between "reading" and "meaning"

it’s not as frequent as it would normally be, because people are being deterred by the usual forum gank train that appears every time someone has any complaints.

of course lots of the commentators try to be helpful, but that doesn’t change the fact that the overall tone is “don’t touch my WK”, which really isn’t helpful.

oh and that was way worse in 2015 btw, when we had toxic people like syphus or mrgameraidz lurk here.

1 Like

This is going to derail the thread, so I’ll just leave it what I’ve offered above.

1 Like

If you are going quickly through the cards, it will happen. It happens to me, it happens to OP.
Hitting enter is like a reflex, just to find out you misread “meaning” for “reading” (2 characters apart)
and you failed. However unlikely, it would improve the experience of some users, as I hope we
can all agree that typing exactly the meaning of a word instead of its reading does not happen

by coincidence, thus you can tell this kind of mistake from the ones wanikani actually wants

to grade you for.

2 Likes

I use the override script for finger slips and other “it wasn’t actually my fault” mistakes. Can’t honestly say I’ve ever entered a meaning in the reading field, but if I did then I’d just override it. WK approves this because they are the ones that made the API that lets you do it.

I am constantly entering the wrong thing. I find myself just looking at the kanji and then typing without looking down to see the “reading or meaning” prompt.

I guess I find myself wanting to focus on just the kanji, instead of looking at the kanji then looking down to see what i should be inputting then looking BACK up at the kanji to figure out what the meaning/reading is.

I often write out the whole meaning in English only to look down at it and realize that it’s all in hiragana so I have to erase it. It happens at least once or twice every review session for me.

5 Likes

yeah, the indicator could be closer to the kanji, as that’s at the center of attention.

Basically the point is, don’t try to finish your entire thing of 50 reviews in 10 seconds. Plus, if this happens to you a couple times, it’s not like it’s going to ruin everything. If it continues to be a nagging issue, then just do what everyone else said before I decided to say pretty much the exact same thing for some reason and install a userscript.

Sheesh. I’ve been using this website for years, and I never noticed the black/grey thing. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I mean, I think both sides of the argument have a point. It is very visible during reviews which is which, so it should be possible to accustom the brain to detect it. However, seems like this problem isn’t negligible either, seeing how many people are having trouble.

So I have a suggestion. How about using the color schemes for the answer fields themselves, where they are typed? Black background with white characters for reading, and vice versa for meaning.

1 Like

lol same. Well, eight months here, but still.

I definitely don’t see different colors either. It drives me nuts when I get the meaning and reading mixed up when I know the correct answer.

1 Like

It would be useful for anybody who doesn’t see the different background colours to post screenshots so we can see what you’re seeing as well.

4 Likes

I am so glad about this topic!
I was having trouble with this as well. While I was seeing the difference in the input field, my brain sometimes just wasn’t quick enough to distinguish between the two. And I hadn’t noticed the color difference at all before this post.
But now that I see it, my last review session just went a lot smoother :smile:
So thanks to the op for posting this! It changed my reviews and I hope you will get it sorted out as well :partying_face:

I totally noticed that…

1 Like

It also happens to me sometimes. But it don’t mind that much. But I agree that for people who are typing blind (Not looking at the response field) something could be done.
First: Why not replace “Meaning” with “Translation”? Keeping “Reading” should be fine because that’s what the different pronounciations are called.
Second: Change the kanjis or vocabularys background colors? Use e.g. different red and blue tones for meaning and reading? E.g. a strong tone for meaning and a light tone for reading. So the reader only has to scan one object.
An easy job for greasemonkey or settings for WaniKani?

This probably happens more to people who don’t type blind, i.e. people who look at their keyboard while typing.

1 Like

Sorry coming back to this threat I see there’s a bigger problem.

On the one hand I still feel like you’ll adapt to it after some levels, on the other hand, the program should be easy to use from the beginning. I’m really curious why the color doesn’t change for so many of you, this is the first time I read about it happening!

And so far you’ve only read about it. I’ll believe it’s really happening when I see the screenshots as I suspect it’s just that people didn’t notice the inverted white on black.

For what it’s worth, though, I also think WK should figure out a way to make it easier not to make this kind of bedevilling mistake. I don’t make them any more, but for the first 13 levels or so…

2 Likes

Aye, I’m with you on this. Pics or it didn’t happen.

2 Likes

It might happen if you use the Lynx browser…

2 Likes