(Back up) Floflo.moe - A WK-friendly website for reading

Use it when you dont wanna see that word in the wordlist ever again. If you know it, I’d say trash it. Theres really no reason to see it again if you know it, right?

1 Like

Items go back to the lesson queue if you fail them a lot, I think.

3 Likes

Exactly what I wanted to know, thanks!

1 Like

Update 10/14 - Fixes & Stuff

Vocab Tables

• Now gives warning when adjusting user options like freq, etc. when not logged in
  • Fixed hiragana-only (かしら etc.) words not showing when using the katakana filter
  • Fixed backslashes appearing in certain word definitions

All Titles

• Sorting for unknown words fixed

Lessons

• Back button (in browser) now works as expected when queuing up items as lessons

New Free Book

• Ningyou Tsukai [Aozora Bunko] [hand-parsed]

4 New Additions

• Oreshura IV @Vanilla
  • Yagate Kimi ni Naru Manga @ditto20
  • Grisaia no Kajitsu (or whatever script they give here)
  • Shikkoku no Sharnoth

We’re getting close to 100 titles

7 Likes

3 Likes

@Raionus This one may have been lost in the shuffle, so any idea what’s going on here? I won’t know until I read the book if somehow this reading is correct. But I assume it should be あの.

I’m gonna nico nico need you to give me the title of the book

But two things

1. Left-most column is always how it appears in the book
  2. Kano seems like a particle combination (ex: かのように) which would mean it’s probably a misparse

Just got into floflo via the beginner book club and I must say, this is such an amazing service with so much work put into it! Thank you for making it available for the low low price of free! (but also if you ever decided to charge for it or make a premium version, I would totally pay for it. This kind of site is invaluable imo.)

4 Likes

It was 時をかける少女, but that’s good to know. I’ll look out for it when I’m reading then!

Nico nico?

5 Likes
3 Likes

Turns out we were both wrong.

Jesus Christ what an abomination.

Anyway I just replaced it with 彼女 since it’s such a high frequency occurence.

10 Likes

Maybe you should have parsed the regular version of the book :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Since I’m going to finally use floflo for real (finally read something that’s on here :laughing:), I’ve got a (probably) stupid question. Is there a way to clear out your lesson queue?

I was messing with the site before by adding bunch of words from Kiki and Obasan (but in the end I didn’t read any of them) and now I end up with somewhat long list of words that I have no intention to learn right now.

Ps. I’m very excited to finally give floflo a go. :durtle_the_explorer:

2 Likes

How is floflo supposed to handle set phrases? I’m currently looking at the vocab for 時をかける少女 which contains the word どうか (with the most interesting translations) with frequency 6, so I looked up its occurrence in the book, and it occurs 15 times in total in the edition I have.
かどうか occurs 6 times, どうかしたの? occurs 8 times, and どうかする appears once.

Is it possible that this is a misparse of かどうか? Or does the book that you used give you different numbers for this?

There hasn’t been to prevent certain abuses of the exporter. But I’ve thought of some stuff since so I’ll be implementing a way to delete all lessons in the future.

I just went in manually and deleted the lessons you had.

It doesn’t handle grammatical expressions for the most part, unless they’re very particular. Ex: ごきげんよう is going to get captured as one phrase but によると should probably be に+よる+と. Same with か+どうか.

Floflo uses JMDict, same as every other dictionary in the universe. It uses JMDict’s ordering as well. As you can see, jisho and other things will give you the same translations, probably in a very similar order.

Anyway Floflo is a vocabulary tool, not a grammar tool so I’m not particularly concerned about it.

If you’re using the book that you posted in the beginner book club then we probably have slightly different editions. I’m using the つばさ文庫 edition. You can click the “get books” button on the vocab list to see it directly on amazon.

Edit:
I went through the text file. There’s not even close to 15 appearances of どうか in any shape or form in my edition.

When does this poll happen?

when

1 Like

In a few days.

Also @NicoleIsEnough
The つばさ文庫 edition is a kid’s novelization of 時をかける少女. Maybe you have the adult version?

For example amazon lists this
as the page count. Is yours similar?

1 Like

Awesome, thanks!

Jp, right now.

1 Like

Starts heavily campaigning for セレンディピティの時代 by 茂木 健一郎.

:eyes:

1 Like

Oh, I see! I know that grammar point but I never realized that it’s actually made up of two words. Thanks :slight_smile:

Sorry, this was not meant to be a criticism towards floflo - I’m perfectly clear that it uses some external dictionary. I’m just sometimes in awe when I see what amount of different meanings a single simple word can bear. (That’s probably a feature we get for free with Japanese.)

Also, thanks for double-checking the book text! I indeed have the version I posted in the book club, which is different from yours. I compared some of the text on the first page or so with the version you used, and it looked pretty identical. But the book club might get interesting if they are really that different later on :wink:

1 Like