At what level do you stop learning radicals?

Or does the fun never stop?

You stop learning WaniKani radicals at WaniKani level 60

Once you get to level 46, there are a small amount (3 or less) and few kanji are based on them. That’s how the final levels go much faster than the early ones. Because perfect accuracy on the level-up kanji provides 90% or higher kanji completed, you will level up as you Guru the radicals, adding the kanji from those radicals to your initial list for the next level.

You can get a great overall view of things on this WaniKani Statistics page - just use the link to enter your API key.

Great! That’s more the answer I was looking for. I have a college Japanese class and it’s hard to learn the vocabulary with the radical mnemonic method when I haven’t learned the radicals yet. Would you say around that level is when you know enough radicals to tackle most kanji?

Thank you.

It never ends.

What? You’ve never seen the 麤 radical?

Levels 1-12 are the ones where you get hammered with radicals. After level 13 you’ll be getting less than 10 radicals per level, and then after level 32 you’re pretty much only getting 3-6 per level. Every level has some, though, until level 50. In levels 51-60 there’s a grand total of 7 radicals across the 10 levels, so some won’t have any.

What the hell is that monstrosity?

It’s not that bad. It’s just the same thing repeated 3 times. I would say that actually makes it easier to learn.

Well it would just hurt your hand a lot to write I suppose.

鬮鬱讟钃钄鸜厵韊鸝籲龖龗鱻麤 :thinking:

(It’s from the Kanji Kentei level 1)

I’m definitely checking out that link b/c it looks useful, but oh god on my screen the characters in that phrase are so condensed it looks like a barcode

My eyes!
com-gif-maker

After level 15 or so, a large number of the “radicals” you’ll see are previous kanji being reintroduced as radicals with the hope that you’ll be able to recognise them at a glance by that point, making something that has six radicals within a composite of one complex shape you already know well and two other radicals that modify it.

I don’t think anyone has mentioned this yet, but fyi because there is technically no universal standard for radicals, the “radicals” you learn here may be quite different from the radicals you learn in your class… if you learn radicals in your class. The radicals you learn here are just WKs way of breaking down kanji so they’re easier to learn, whereas radicals you might learn in your class are meant for looking up kanji in a dictionary. Also, you might learn in class that there is only one radical in any kanji - again, WK uses them for a very different purpose, which is why we talk about a kanji containing multiple radicals here but you will likely never encounter that anywhere else!

Our teacher doesn’t really go over radicals in great detail. Sometimes she’ll mention it, but she doesn’t use it as a memorization method so I haven’t had that conflict. Thank you!

You know, it’s times like this when I really buy the whole Kanji thing.
kanji

Just pasted into discord:

Cleartype seems to have done me a disservice in this instance.

Do PC users in Japan use larger font settings normally?

Yes.

Also what kanji even is that. My best guess is 麑, but thats obviously wrong.

Edit: nvm that last part.

麤 is the original form of 粗, meaning “coarse/rough”, as far as I can tell.
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/麤