At Lvl 56- 1500+ Reviews😬

1. Do your reviews every day.
  2. Don’t do so many lessons that you are unable to complete step one.

Basically, the lessons control the amount of reviews that you’re going to get. If you only do 5 lessons a day, you’re going to have much fewer reviews each day then someone doing 20 lessons a day. Doing a steady number a day instead of doing lessons in huge batches also makes it easier to keep up with the review workload, as you come to expect to spend roughly the same amount of time on reviews each day (instead of randomly getting surprised with large batches of reviews), and can plan your study schedule around that. For some people, keeping your amount of apprentice items under 100 is enough, but for me, that’s still too many reviews, so I tend to go at a pace that’s a little more than half that speed (I do 10-13 lessons a day generally, which lets me level up about every 14-15 days, with apprentice items in the 40-60 range).

The main problem seems to be people taking a few days off from doing WK without turning on vacation mode, and then things snowball from there. It gets harder and harder to catch back up the more you let your reviews accumulate, which further makes it harder to motivate yourself to get back in the swing of things.

If you’re worried, I’d focus on always making sure you do your reviews each day (and turning on vacation mode if you have to miss a few days), and adjusting the amount of lessons you’re doing so that you have time to complete your reviews each day. If you do these things, you should be able to avoid coming back to unmanageably large review piles.

3 Likes

It seems like what both you and @fallynleaf seems to be good general advice, so I’ll try to keep my Apprentice items around 100. I’m actually at 150 right now (i didn’t know I could check this.) and things seem manageable, so I’ll see where that takes me. I’ve been doing my lessons and reviews asap so I’ll just have to take it from there.

Thanks.

3 Likes

Of course, glad I could be of some help, & may the turtles burn ever in your favor! :fire::turtle::fire:
Thank you @fallynleaf for also providing some (albeit much more thorough) tips! These are things I certainly wish I was aware of when I first started WK. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

1 Like

IOS doesn’t allow scripting with any browser, so that part is true. However, if you don’t mind using an app, Tsurukame provides a lot of the functionality of several scripts so you may want to give it a try.

The best way to use vacation mode is listed in the Ultimate Guide:

The gist is to stop lessons about a week or two beforehand to clear out your apprentice queue. Then you’ll only have Guru and above items when you start vacation. That provides a much better way to work with the SRS.

5 Likes

If you have a busy life schedule, you could use the Juken app on IOS so you don’t have the time consuming task of typing over 3000 inputs on a phone and just swipe for yes/no
I would just be brutally honest whether you know it or make an executive decision whether you want to practice it more or not. You could probably knock this pile down in one sitting.

I don’t think review number matters than much; technically we all start with at minimum of 75k reviews just for L60 for a brilliant run and alot more than that for mortals + to respectively burn it down. So maybe we need ~ a million reviews across SRS platforms for a respectable base unless you just want to read. We just don’t see the number otherwise we might curl up in a ball and cry.

I’d only care about accuracy; take a good hard look at the one you missed
maybe just a momentary lapse but you can get it next time easily. Otherwise, if you are truly bombing you have to review radical/kanji bases. I don’t agree with resetting, SRS is built for mistakes
if you thrive with a high percentage it’s sort of a waste of time IMO. Good luck!

1 Like

Thank you for clearing up the confusion about scripts on IOS, @alo!

Upon Jakeipuu, I am also looking into, as several of you have recommended: Tsurukame; and, as @s1212z reccomended: Juken.

I was oddly unaware of the existence of these apps beforehand, so thank you all for bringing them up! They should make the journey from here on much easier. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

To the best of my knowledge, they don’t work on iOS web browsers because Apple doesn’t want 3rd party things running or something. I only use the Chrome app on my iPhone for Wanikani by the way, I don’t know if they work on Safari or any Wanikani apps.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.