Asking questions about Japanese language, in Japanese

I read a while ago that if you can learn to ask questions about Japanese language IN JAPANESE, or similarly understand Japanese explanations of the Japanese language - it can really help snowball ones proficiency. Is this a thing?

SO, I am wondering if any one knows of any resources that would help me formulate sentences that would specifically be helpful in the the context of a an Italki lesson, that might be a bit unusual (for a speaker at my level in any case) in normal conversation.

Examples - in my Italki lesson I might want to ask (in Japanese) -

in this situation is ‘this sentence’, or ‘this sentence’ more appropriate?

With the verb ‘to kidnap’ do i use the wo particle or the ga particle?

Edit - accidentally pressed post - so i will continue :rofl:

I get frustrated at having to stop to ask for explanations in English, but feel if i got a few structures down I could apply to many different situations.

Any tips?

2 Likes

〇〇は何という意味ですか。

〇〇とは is a good way to google something.

Other people can give you some good JP dictionaries as well.

〇〇と〇〇とどちらが適当ですか。

5 Likes

Here may be a helpful pattern:

「〜の場合・という場合」には、「A」か「B」のどちらか言うべきですか?

例文:

学生:友達に「母が死んだ」と言われた場合には、「それは残念でした」か「それは気の毒です」のどちらか言うべきですか。

先生:『お悔やみ申し上げます』が最適です!

Obliviously this is a little different from the English that you have written.

tip:

Also learn language related words to help with corrections and explanations. (if you have not already)

名詞・動詞・形容詞・副詞・他動詞・自動詞・過去形・現在形・未来形・定義・and so on

5 Likes

For conversation, if I really want to use a particular grammar point that I don’t have quite mastered, I will just use BunPro’s glossary as its pretty comprehensive and searching is super fast with either Japanese or English. I’ll tell my partner to hold on, I really want to try to say something here…

Looking at the sentences and what everyone posted, you can formulate these with N5-N4 grammar solutions. Probably the best advice I got for speaking is don’t be too literal with your translated voice; just use the tools you know to find creative solutions for the speed of real time conversation. And natives would continuously consolidate my phrasings (particularly written), from wordy incoherent messes to clearer communications. And I mean consolidate for spoken effectiveness/clarity and not dumbing down to monkey grunts. You also have the advantage of context or sharing screens so every detail in the question doesn’t have to be mentioned if it’s already obvious.

1 Like

That is a really good point - cause thinking about it I often think about what i would say in english, and then try and convert that into Japanese. This is inevitably frustrating - as obviously I would use quite complex sentences in English.

I think i few of these have popped up on here - but i will brush up on them. That;s a good point !

@Wol @Saida gonna have a look at those sentence constructions before my class on Friday and see if i can sneak them in :slight_smile: I’ll let you know how it goes !

ありがとうございました!!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.