Are you, guys, using flick or romaji input on your phones?

I switched to flick recently. I was thinking that most Japanese people would probably not use romaji so I checked my phone settings to see what other keyboard options there were.
I’m a bit slow yet but I can tell that once I’ve memorized where the keys are it will be much faster.

3 Likes

I’m using romaji input at the moment but I’m planning on switching keyboards soon because I want to get used to flick and feel like I’m making progress trying out a keyboard most Japanese people use :stuck_out_tongue: (I’m also making a ton of mistakes while typing fast…)
Btw, hi, I’m from Hamburg, too :DD Are you German as well or simply living here?

2 Likes

when i was in japan a japanese person asked me why i don’t use the flick method so i started using it and honestly i could never go back haha

1 Like

ohh hey, I’m from Hamburg too and I live here lol

2 Likes

flick keyboard is definitely faster in the long run, but I’ll be damned if I ever try to use a kana keyboard on a laptop :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve used flick since I started learning Japanese. I hated it at first but I’ve gotten somewhat used to it. I’ve more or less memorized the layout, so it’s not too bad. Still can’t type any faster than about two words per minute though :expressionless:

Out of curiosity, what keyboards do you guys use? I have an Android phone, so I use Gboard because it’s sooo much nicer than the default. Usually I use Gboard for Japanese too, but sometimes I use Simeji.

1 Like

that’s interesting. yeah I hope with enough practice I’ll also be faster,

• I’m using swiftkey rn. I enjoy it’s features alot. :grin:
1 Like

Romaji.
Flick seems stupid and I don’t buy the whole “It’s faster”, idk, maybe y’all type like grandmas with romaji? then sure, maybe that faster is more like “average typing speed”. Or maybe it’s like when people run up and down escalators only to save themselves like 5 seconds.

anyway, I don’t see the point to force yourself to such a weird typing system for no reason.
Like at least for japanese people is the normal way in a phone, they don’t go out of their way to use it.

Like with “acquired tastes” which basically means, torture yourself until your brain shuts off and starts pretending they like this awful food/beverage, no point

Flick cause it was the default and didn’t know romaji keyboard existed

1 Like

SwiftKey is pretty nice. I prefer it over Gboard.

2 Likes

Have you ever watched a Japanese person use flick input? They’re insanely fast. It’s also not like they don’t know qwerty. They use it on computers.

I mean, it’s kind of patently obvious to me… Most things that take two or more movements with romaji take only one on flick.

11 Likes

I flick all the way. It’s so much faster. I remember finding it very unwieldy and hard to use when I first tried it (a little bit like when you learn to use a keyboard as a kid), but I wouldn’t look back now. The only way I can imagine romaji being faster would be if slide input was a thing with romaji keyboards.

2 Likes

My girlfriend uses the flick for both English and Japanese. (she is japanese) but I think the flick is gross for both haha, especially if it doesn`t have the smaller symbols for each character. I could not be bothered to learn them so I just stick to the English style. I heard that there was some stuff you couldn’t do on the romaji keyboard though? Like a Tei? small i?

1 Like

I’m not using a tablet. I’m holding a phone in my hand, and my thumb can’t hit single romaji easily… more like 4-5 at a time, whereas swiping a kana is no problem.
I’m using flick even for roman letters. Been doing that for over 5 years now, so I don’t even think about it while doing it, and it’s quick.

1 Like

太い指を持っていますから。The bigger keys are better for paws that can’t type very well with small keys…

2 Likes

You can do small characters, outside the more normal しゅ/ぎょtype stuff, just have to type ‘x’ first:
Texi =てぃ. Pretty sure there are no limitations with the standard romanji input.

1 Like

Not all heroes wear capes :green_heart:

2 Likes

Sometimes I use flick just for the experience, and it’s probably the faster of the two once you get used to it, but for long messages I always revert to romaji input because I write much, much faster that way.

Been seeing a lot of comments about how much faster flick is over romanji input. I’d have to say I’d like to see some real stats on this, looked a little couldn’t find anything, not arguing that it isn’t the faster input system, I just find it hard to believe that it is faster in any real meaningful way. I’d guess that between two people who are equally proficient in their preferred input method the time saving between one or the other would be negligible at best. But typing speed on a phone isn’t really a big concern for me, I suppose someone in here could be some sort of competitive typest? Run with whichever your more comfortable with.

You can usually type “thi” for てぃ