App for WaniKani in the future?

Does anyone know if there is a plan to create an app for WaniKani at some point? Would anyone else be interested in one? I know for myself I would make use of it often on the go. For paying members it seems like a great idea.

I believe people are in the process of making one for Apple products.
/t/Community-Project-iOS-App/1044/1

The website works really well on androids if you use dolphin browser. For some reason using android chrome or the default browser doesn’t work for me, but dolphin works perfect, so I just set the dolphin homepage to wanikani and use it only for that. 

Saponutti said... I believe people are in the process of making one for Apple products.
/t/Community-Project-iOS-App/1044/1

Thanks for the link, I hope it makes swift progress. I'm able to use wanikani in Safari on my iphone but it's very slowly and the font is rather small. I think having it in app form would make it run a lot faster.

We (limeshift) are currently developing one, actually. At the moment it sources all required data from the WaniKani servers for a user after they enter their API ID, and then stores it locally on a user’s iPhone/iPad for offline use. The app will be done soon; it will allow you to practise your unlocked radicals, Kanji, and vocabulary (both readings and meanings) in a quiz-like format where you are shown a Kanji (or radical/vocabulary) and given 4 different answers you can choose from, one of course being the correct one. It will also notify you through a notification when your next review is. 

More info soon. :slight_smile:

kkamil113 said... We (limeshift) are currently developing one, actually. At the moment it sources all required data from the WaniKani servers for a user after they enter their API ID, and then stores it locally on a user's iPhone/iPad for offline use. The app will be done soon; it will allow you to practise your unlocked radicals, Kanji, and vocabulary (both readings and meanings) in a quiz-like format where you are shown a Kanji (or radical/vocabulary) and given 4 different answers you can choose from, one of course being the correct one. It will also notify you through a notification when your next review is. 

More info soon. :)
 Will it work on Android? 

I haven’t really looked into Android app development, but I do own a Nexus 7 so maybe, but the iOS version is currently top priority.

Solmors said... The website works really well on androids if you use dolphin browser. For some reason using android chrome or the default browser doesn't work for me, but dolphin works perfect, so I just set the dolphin homepage to wanikani and use it only for that. 
Thanks for the tip! I had given up on trying to use WK with Chrome on my phone. I'll give Dolphin a shot.  It'll be nice to be able to do reviews without a computer. 
kkamil113 said... We (limeshift) are currently developing one, actually. At the moment it sources all required data from the WaniKani servers for a user after they enter their API ID, and then stores it locally on a user's iPhone/iPad for offline use. The app will be done soon; it will allow you to practise your unlocked radicals, Kanji, and vocabulary (both readings and meanings) in a quiz-like format where you are shown a Kanji (or radical/vocabulary) and given 4 different answers you can choose from, one of course being the correct one. It will also notify you through a notification when your next review is. 

YES! Please complete it soon! And please, please, please, make you able to buy suscriptions from it. I really really want a suscription, but I can't buy one off the buyer thingy. Over itunes I can though, so please do, (I'm begging you haha) and  can you tell me if you are going to make you able to by suscriptions on the app. Thank you!

I’m not sure that would be possible, because we are not affiliated with WaniKani and therefore it would be impossible to do, as the money would go to us not them. :stuck_out_tongue: Plus there is no way of extending a subscription through the API. Maybe in the future, though. Beg Viet, so he adds this functionality to the API, but I doubt it would be anytime soon as the team are currently in Japan.

How about an android app?

kkamil113 said...
The app will be done soon; it will allow you to practise your unlocked radicals, Kanji, and vocabulary (both readings and meanings) in a quiz-like format where you are shown a Kanji (or radical/vocabulary) and given 4 different answers you can choose from, one of course being the correct one. 
 Why multiple choice? :( That makes it way too easy for us to narrow it down.

Might have to type the answer; that would actually make it easier to develop, haha.

Yeah, from now on check this thread for updates on the iOS app me and my brother (limeshift) are making.

I have an android tablet that I love using.  My dream WaniKani app would be one I could use on my tablet, especially when I am offline.  Yes, It might be a big download, and I certainly don’t know how it would work since I am not a developer.  But that is my dream.

I am becoming a great fan on WK - and am checking for new updates/lessons/reviews constantly. I am working, however, and do not always sit in front of a computer. As a corporate slave, I have been equipped with a Blackberry - are anyone working on an app for WK for BB? I for sure would buy it.