API Change Log

v.1.4 (July 21, 2015)

• Added nanori option to kanji API calls
v.1.3 (April 27, 2015)
  • Added srs_numeric to radicals, kanji, and vocabulary API calls
v1.2 (November 22, 2013)
  • Added vacation_date to User Information
  • When user is in vacation mode, Study Queue will output 0s and NULLs. Availability dates for items will output NULL as well.
  • The Radicals, Kanji, and Vocabulary list “stats” key has been renamed to “user_specific” to better describe the new information introduced in this group.
  • Added meaning_note, reading_note, and user_synonyms to the Radicals, Kanji, and Vocabulary list “user_specific” group. Radicals do not have a reading_note. The user_synonyms will output as an array if synonyms are present, otherwise it’ll display NULL
v1.1 (December 12, 2012)
  • Added JSONP support
v1.0 (December 7, 2012)
  • Made API Public

Added JSONP support in v1.1. Append ?callback={PARAMETER} if you want the JSON to be wrapped in a function.

Added notes for upcoming API update, v1.2

v1.2 (November 18, 2012)
jakobd said...
v1.2 (November 18, 2013)
 じゃない?
viet said... v1.2 (November 22, 2013)
  • Added vacation_date to User Information
  • When user is in vacation mode, Study Queue will output 0s and NULLs. Availability dates for items will output NULL as well
Sounds interesting. Do you think you could give us the API key of a test account permanently in vacation mode? Testing this feature with one's own account could be awkward..

@s84606

Koichi’s account is under vacation mode. You can use his API key: fe1d61e66c3a8421db3b8fdbff4fa522

viet said... @s84606

Koichi's account is under vacation mode. You can use his API key: fe1d61e66c3a8421db3b8fdbff4fa522
 Thanks a lot, Viet (and Koichi :)
I've just updated WKM to v1.2:  it was nice and easy. Only problem I have is that user synonyms and notes are always NULL. For instance I've added a reading and meaning note to 腰 (vocab) and two extra readings to 法規. They appear in the web page but the corresponding JSON fields are unset (though present). 

Just a quick heads-up: the link to the v1.3 docs contains the older v1.2 docs (https://www.wanikani.com/api/v1.3).

API 1.4 is out.

Wat? Do we also have to learn nanori now? :<br>
Jk, this could be a useful feature for a certain script. There are only so much nanori …

Hi Viet, I noticed a funny thing: now that you have introduced “nanori” in v.1.4, also versions older than v1.4 (e.g. v1.2) may return “important_reading”=“nanori”. I don’t know if it’s right or wrong, but that’s the reason why WKMobile had problems with level 52. Just mentioning in case someone is having similar problems…

Hey there -- just playing around with the 1.4 API and noticed some of the changes -- notably the undocumented general
dictionary tag has been removed from the radicals and kanji lists (https://www.wanikani.com/api/user/[KEY]/kanji):

{"user_information":{"username":"prb",... ...},"requested_information":[{"character":"七"

However, the vocab list still has it (https://www.wanikani.com/api/user/[KEY]/vocabulary):

{"user_information":{"username":"prb",... ...},"requested_information":{"general":[{"character":"二"...
Is this an oversight?  Or are you planning to eventually have categories of vocabulary?

Thanks (again!) for all the hard work. 

Are there any plans for future api updates?

vcastane said... Are there any plans for future api updates?
 I talked to Viet about one a while ago, and yeah, there's plans for at least a consistency update. That was via Twitter, though, so I don't know how official that is.

Would you consider adding an API endpoint for recent burns? It’s the only feature from the dashboard I can’t access from the API. I’m moving burned items over to my Anki and this would help tremendously.