Anyone tried Kanken?

One interesting thing I noticed recently is that after level 5, the “expected level of passing test takers” starts to diverge from the joyo list.

Like, for all of 10 through 5, each level corresponds to a grade level in elementary school, and students who completed that particular grade should be able to pass that level of the test.

But there is no official order for all the joyo kanji beyond grade 6. As a result, the kanken people can’t really expect a particular level of kanji knowledge from, say, all 8th graders. So, level 4 is described as “currently in middle school level.”

Level 3 is described as “graduated from middle school level” even though it only covers about 1600 of the 2136 joyo kanji.

Level 2 covers all 2136 joyo kanji finally, but it is described as “graduated from high school level.” The “in high school level” is pre-2.

To be fair, there’s a difference between learning the kanji, and having a full vocab that covers all the words you can write with said kanji.

But it’s kind of a relief to know that level 2 is not middle school level.

9 Likes

I’m struggling to come up with a way to properly study yojijukugo as I get ready for pre-2.

The main issue is that it’s hard to reliably predict what set of yojijukugo to study for. It seems like about half of the yojijukugo that appear on pre-2 are what would be classified as pre-2 yojijukugo on the various kanken resource websites you see. This means that at least one of the kanji in the yojijukugo is included in the 333 kanji that separate level pre-2 from level 3.

But this still means that about half of the yojijukugo come from lower levels. Because of course you can have difficult yojijukugo that are made from simpler kanji. So it seems like I really need to start again from the bottom up with yojijukugo specifically.

3 Likes

Sounds like you are thinking out loud. I can’t help you but I am looking forward to finding out how you deal with this. Thanks for the updates.

2 Likes

Yeah, just sharing my thought process.

For now, I started looking at lists of yojijukugo made for the purposes of passing high school entrance exams, because that seems like a more reliable way to find the “important” ones than by just looking at sprawling lists of all yojijukugo that fit within a particular test’s set of kanji.

3 Likes

The pass / fail results are available for my level 3 test. I passed! Detailed results will probably come later this week.

On with level pre-2 studying.

26 Likes

Congrats! Quickly moving into the “impressive even for a native” territory. Looking forward to your impressions of the Pre-2 and 2 levels.

3 Likes

Yeah, I would say level 2 is definitely considered “impressive for a native,” though I’m a long way from there :wink:

Pre-2 would probably trip up a lot of people just trying to roll out of bed and take it, but I don’t know how much value it’s considered to have on your resume or something for natives.

The one thing I always worry about when I tell people about this kind of thing though is that they’re going to ask me to write something from elementary school lol. Those basic kanji get used so much more often, they can appear in tons of words I don’t know yet. A lot of pre-2 and 2 level kanji only ever appear in a couple words.

7 Likes

For some reason, I feel excited by your progress. Like watching your national team qualify for the World Cup or something like that. Keep it up.

15 Likes

Detailed results came for level 3. Really disappointed with the score, 161. I can’t look at any of the things I got wrong since there’s no physical test to take home anyway.

A major culprit was the 同音・同訓異字 section, which I usually only get one or two wrong at most, and I got 4 wrong.

I also have no clue how I got two writing questions wrong, because I was confident on all of them.

Every section was just kinda “meh.” Except synonyms and antonyms, that was perfect.

8 Likes

What’s it scored out of?

140 is passing.

Still, I felt good at the end of the test.

Yeah, I totally get that feeling. I retook one of my national school tests (just a modular one) because I was disappointed with my score, even though there was really no need. Still, you’re already doing something far more impressive than most would be able to!

2 Likes

And here I am still waiting for my results D=

I guess that is the price you pay for taking the exam home. Not sure if it is worth it or not.

Wait so if you take the electronic test you dont get to see what you got wrong?

Technically you never are told the correct answers, but if you do the paper test you can bring it home and check the answers yourself.

But you have to rely on your memory of what options you chose, or which kanji you wrote.

With the computer test, there’s nothing to take home with you.

1 Like

Actually they do send you the correct answers for the paper test. You get it by mail about one week after you take the exam.

And at least for me, I did the exam on the question sheet before copying the answers to the answer sheet, so I do know all my answers.

1 Like

Ah, well then yeah, the computer test is pretty different then. There’s no way to even take your answers home with you because you aren’t allowed paper or anything to write with in the test room.

1 Like

For the level 5 Kanken, did you find the prep book you linked enough?

I saw you mentioned the DS game, but have you tried the Gakkonet apps (I only know of the ios ones)?

I don’t remember what I linked. Where was it?

I’ve tried those apps, and it’s not like they’ll hurt you or anything, but they’re not really much like actual test questions. I would consider them extra if you have time on the train or something.

This one

Hmm I see. Guess I’ll have to look for actual test questions.

1 Like