Anyone else using primarily Anki for WK?

I add most content provided in WK (vocab that is) to my current vocab / sentence mining routine.

So in Anki I get to: choose the intervals for my cards (which I adjust according to how much actual retention I’m getting on a monthly basis), make cards with sentence lines from actual context (shows I’m watching), use japanese definitions in the cards.

example

And then in WK I’m still doing the radical and Kanji lessons. Which I guess I could make into Anki routine too, but the intervals for Kanji and some extra scripts ( stroke order and mostly the Kaisei Phonetic - Semantic compounds) provide a nice addition and pace to keep learning those, still using the vocab provided.

This way my WK time has decreased drastically, and overall the time I’m actually reading japanese and making use of words more than just SRSing has improved a lot…

That has been my take on WK since level 30… I can’t really recommend it based on time economy as is a selfmade routine, and though I try to do it as efficiently as possible… it takes time… but on the other side even making it, and choosing definitions in japanese and hearing the lines where those words come alive I’ve felt has been a terrific way to step up my game.

Overall I guess using kanji and specially vocab with a real context has made me reconsider about the whole “burned” item thing… which I think can be misleading if WK is the main tool you’re using to learn japanese… doing a lot of WK you get good at doing WK reviews… reading you get good at reading… same for listening… so they’re complementary activities, but my experience is that the skill gained in one overlaps to the next, but still leaves a great gap to be filled.

2 Likes