Annual membership or lifetime?

I don’t see any downside to buying a lifetime membership. You can come back five years from now to refresh your memory, and you’re supporting this excellent learning resource. I’m glad I bought lifetime, even though I’ve never paid for a language learning resource before.

6 Likes

I’d recommend lifetime subscription in any general case.
And if your way of living, your personality, any of your individual circumstances have any level of instability, then that’s an even more reason to go lifetime (with a sale to boot!).
Because as the Murphy’s law says, in case there is the worst sequence of events, it will inevitably happen. The only question is when :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

This has been a very interesting thread. Thank you all for replying and giving your insight.

I can see why Lifetime seems to be a better deal in the long run, esp. because I want to be fluent in Japanese one day, the way I’m fluent in English today. But since money is a bit tight with me due to covid-19 and other obligations, I’ll the Annual subscription for now. That, and to see how committed I can be for the coming year lol :rofl:

3 Likes

Please do know, though, that your annual subscription will have very little carryover discount if you wait a year to get the lifetime subscription…

3 Likes

I just got on level 4 and have the same dilemma. It is unlikely I will finish WK in a year (not even considering burns after l60), on the other hand… Price of dollar right now is not very good for me (thanks covid).

And I am listening to you guys, and thinking: they living in Japan, or planning to go there, whilst me… For me it is probably just a hobby [demotivated_face], and apparently not a cheap one.

3 Likes

There is another good reason to buy lifetime. You can use WK as a resource even after you finish it with the help of the search function, as I found that it becomes a sort of a database for your kanji knowledge, especially if you have Greasemonkey scripts installed. For example, you can see what kind of vocabulary you have learned with certain kanji, quickly look up similar kanji, look up what kanji and vocabulary correspond to certain readings, etc.

And of course you can still use it for learning afterwards by using burned item review scripts, unburning items, or even resetting to a lower level. For example, I’m using it to brush up on vocabulary/kanji and practice pitch accent right now.

2 Likes

IMO, Jisho is far better for looking things up. WK’s search is somewhat annoying to use and only covers stuff that is on WK anyway.

1 Like

Hi! Glad to know there’s a fellow newbie here. You make a good point. No matter what, we all have real life and it does get in the way regardless of our best intentions, which is why I’m on the fence. If I knew I’d be able to devote myself I’m sure I could smash through WK in under 2 years, but I’m not foolish enough to imagine life isn’t going to get hectic at some point in the coming years (even if it hopefully won’t be quite the doozy 2020 was).

How do you add people to scripts. I keep seeing things about scripts but can’t find anything that explains them in a way I understand (computers are not my forte). Is it something I need to be a premium member to have access to? It would be great if we could support each other in our respective journeys.

1 Like

That’s a good point about exchange rates. I’m British so I’m not sure we’re doing much better these days, but life is unpredictable. I’ll look into it, but it might be worth just splurging now and saving myself long term given how things seem to keep going from bad to worse these days. Thanks and good luck for 2021!

1 Like

Covid has made this a hard decision, I agree. For me Japanese is a life long thing. I lived there for 9 years, I have friends there, I often visit and may one day live there again. I have failed to learn other languages as they were just a hobby for me and I doubt I’d spend as much on French or Spanish as those languages aren’t currently part of my life. Knowing this isn’t just a hobby does make me more willing to spend money on learning.

2 Likes

Well… yes. I don’t use it in place of Jisho, I use it to look up things I learned on WK.

Thank you for the advice! What are the grease monkey scripts? I keep seeing mentions of scripts but am confused about how they can be used. Could you explain more or link a good thread for clueless people please?

Sure, it’s all here: The New And Improved List Of API and Third Party Apps

After you have figured out how to install scripts (there’s a helpful link for that right in the beginning of the thread and feel free to ask if there are any problems), you can just try them out one by one based on what seems useful and see how you like them.

1 Like

You’ll still deal with reviews after hitting level 60. It really boils down to if you can and want to spend (or rather invest) that money at the moment.

I went with annual subs first as I had a discount on them and now I could spend the money on lifetime so I bit.

2 Likes

Thank you! I did look, but I couldn’t find my API key and just got confused so thought it might be a membership only thing. I’ll read through this guide.

Yeah, no worries, everyone can use them.

API keys are under Settings – API tokens. Just click on the icon thingy at the upper right corner on the main WK page.

Yeah, I looked there and it just says ‘generate new token’ but I don’t understand what to do next. :see_no_evil: :flushed:

Just check the boxes based on what you want to allow the apps/scripts to do and click on ‘generate’. You can just use the default read-only token for most scripts (if they need one at all) and if a script needs more access, it usually says so in its description, so make sure to read the whole introduction in the thread it’s posted in.

1 Like

Thank you for your input :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I truly appreciate it

1 Like

Funny, for me it’s the exact opposite. I know I don’t have to rush to reach the top, so I’m much more relaxed, which, contrary to what you could think, is making me more motivated to learn. Learning a language is a marathon, not sprint, and I find that for me it’s better to approach it on chill.

4 Likes