Age doesn't matter

Awesome achievement. I’m 68 and recently stagnated on level 20. I’ve got a young family and since summer we’ve had long summer school holidays plus home based learning as schools closed due to Covid. Kids. Now in second week back at school But I haven’t had the energy or Motivation to get back into it. The 1500 outstanding reviews are a bit scary.
Wish you well with your future progress.

5 Likes

WOW, That is amazing. You seem to have a great memory. What is the most challenging part of learning a new language for you?

3 Likes

Thanks, joanie45! I also find kanji fascinating. The fact that you can look at a word with 3 kanjis, and get an idea of what it means without even knowing how to pronounce it, is wonderful. For example, I just learned the word 遮断機 , this is intercept/cut off/machine, and it means a crossing gate, or a parking lot barrier. My other favorite is 隠居, which is hide/alive, and means retirement! I’m not exactly hiding alive in retirement, but it fun to see how these words work.

5 Likes

ultraali453, the most challenging part of learning a new language for me is slang. When I take courses in a language, they almost always use formal language. This is fine if you’re going to read books. But when I watch a TV show in the language, the characters often talk informally, or don’t pronounce words clearly, and it’s difficult to get used to that.

4 Likes

Hearty congratulations @Ringcycle san :smile: :partying_face:

surprised-unsurprised

2 Likes

congrats!!!

wow, I will be 35 years old next month and I hope I can be like you at 70yo still learning a new language!

2 Likes

well done!! :blush: your post including the small insights of your language learning journey throughout your life is pure motivation to keep going. Thank you for sharing :pray:

Greetings from Germany :vulcan_salute:

4 Likes

Congratulations on your achievement! I am 69 and have just reached level 7 (which means I am still working on level 6 vocabulary). I had to reset a couple of times due to interruptions in my life. You inspire me to keep on going even though I am moving much more slowly than you. I only do 5 lessons per day except when they are radicals. Then I do ten because there are no pronunciations to remember.

8 Likes

Congratulations!

Reading your post made me smile. I am far away from level 60 but I am working on it. Reading about your journey is a huge motivation in that matter.

You’re such an inspiration. Most people, that I met in your age, have already given up on learning new things. Seeing, that you still enjoy learning new things, really made my day. Keep it up. You’re never too old for something.

Heartwarming greetings,
Coopexx

5 Likes

Amazing, you are an inspiration. I’m 35 and can say that I hope to stay as sharp as you when I reach that threshold in life.

4 Likes

As a native Hindi speaker, I can confirm that Japanese is really similar to Hindi and not just in the sense that they are both SOV. As you must know, there are many concepts/phrases/expression which are hard to translate to english but on the other hand, they can be literally translated into hindi. Some examples are -てみせる, -ておく. Both these verb conjugations are practically impossible to translate into english but for hindi, the literal translations “kar ke dikhaunga” and “kar ke rakhunga” make complete sense and are actual grammar points in Hindi

BTW, congratulations on reaching level 60 and proving once again that age is just a number

6 Likes

Great to meet you here! Your story is very encouraging to someone just starting out. I’m in my 50’s. I studied Japanese as an additional language for a year in college and have always somewhat regretted not going further with it. I studied Russian for 8 years and now have a job where I can use it in my daily work. I picked up Spanish along the way, which I also use daily. I have made attempts with Hindi/Urdu because there are also many opportunities to use it at work, but I am going back to Japanese for fun! I am blown away by all the resources available to study Japanese - very different from 30 years ago. I agree with you keeping WaniKani and DuoLingo as central to daily efforts. I am also working through Genki for grammar among many other resources I learned about here.

4 Likes

Btw is Hindi similar to Sanskrit? I would like to learn it.

1 Like

They have the same script (alphabet) and the grammar is similar from what I know. I don’t speak an ounce of Sanskrit and my only exposure to Sanskrit is with some ancient poems written in Sanskrit in Hindi literature class from school. I could piece together the meanings (somewhat). Since Hindi comes from a Sanskrit root, i would assume them to be similar.

2 Likes

Inspiring post! Congratulations and thank you for sharing your experiences!

1 Like

Thank you! :heart_eyes:

That means the grammar is similar to Japanese?
I am worried the most about learning a completely new grammar, so I think I will give it a try.

If there is a good point to start from, I would be very happy to hear about it…

Ah some of us get to this point maybe multiple times. The final amount of 1500 reviews might be a little depressing. But i highly recommend doing like 100 - 150 reviews a day without doing lessons. You should be finished within 3 weeks or a month. And remember when ever you do a review, you will learn something with it. There are thousands of reviews waiting for you anyways. They are just hidden for now (;
I know you’ll made it

Thanks for the encouragement

I wish my grandma is more like you guys. She has been saying “I’m going to die soon. So what is the point in doing anything” and she has been saying this for almost 20 years.

My family is not the best family but I’m sure we are loving and supportive family. However, she seriously needs to find some hobbies or friends.

3 Likes

My grandmother told me she will die soon since 30 years. Today I called her and she was worried that I see her on the video because she looks old. Now she is 94. I love her. If I could meet her just one more time next summer I would be the happiest person. And I would like her to meet my youngest son once. If she doesn’t learn anything new meanwhile that would be totally fine :grin:

2 Likes