Ability to Add "Kanji" Readings or Allow Kun’yomi

Learning the onyomi reading becomes extremely useful once the single kanji start forming more words. I get how you feel now, but believe me, it’s for your own good!

I’d love to hear how you feel about this once you’ve reached level 10. You might feel the same, but maybe not.

Keep up your studies!

2 Likes

If the kun’yomi (or whatever is used for the vocab) was accepted for the kanji reading, you wouldn’t need to know any on’yomi. If more than more reading is common for a Kanji, WK will want you to know them, and by splitting the kanji and vocab readings you need to learn at least two.

The way I see it, Kanji card = compound reading and Vocab card = word reading. It’s not 100% accurate but it helps to distinguish them.

IMO, Kanji readings is the hardest part of WK and by far the most useful. Learn them well and most vocab become almost effortless to learn. Rendering them irrelevant by accepting the Vocab reading doesn’t sound like a great idea and should be limited to user scripts, like other stuff you can accidentally screw yourself over with.

Perhaps preferable would be to ignore script your Kanji up to Guru so you can unlock some words using those readings, and then actually start studying the reading. It should be easier if you already know some examples.

1 Like

Thanks Fatwreck. I’ll most likely be getting the life subscription that’s on sale sometime next month to continue. I’m trying to learn this as fast as I am able for my new job, but also need to concentrate on the job itself. So i’m being thrown in two directions for the foreseeable future.

I was lucky enough that I was sent overseas the past few weeks. Between both the hiragana and katakana alphabets and the little kanji I’ve learned here (plus a few phrases) [over the last month and a half] I was able to make it around just fine out in the country. [Katakana became super useful as I was able to sound out and figure what many words were].

2 Likes

the kun reading for standalone kanji vocab is already in though. 型 is がた except when it’s in a compound. it only asks for けい in compounds, so i wonder what the problem is.
this is japanese, kanji have at least 2 readings, and you learn the on reading when you get the kanji, because there’s more words that use it than the kun.
型 is a good example of that, it’s not often a word on it’s own.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.