A very "whoops" Japanese moment

Funny enough I’ve always considered romaji to be the weeby one.

Kana is like…what all japanese people use.

48 Likes

Haha, you weeb :stuck_out_tongue:

24 Likes

I’m from México, and in my country it’s pretty common to joke about death.
Stuff like “Oh lord I wish I was dead.” “Please just finish me off.” “If I kill myself I don’t have to go to the party, huh?”

In Japan, it’s really, really frowned upon to have that kind of humor. I learnt that the hard way.

18 Likes

This is a lot of drama for “Someone I thought might know Japanese actually didn’t know Japanese.”

34 Likes

I’d say everywhere. (Except Japan, from your experience.)

6 Likes

D’aw, now I want to only read/write in romanji too…

Is it too late for me to switch over!?

I also have a friend who likes anime and chats me with やれやれだぜ and 死ね in any chance he can get because he was totally a fan of Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure. He even wrote a English story of his life and sent it for everyone to read (including me). When I read it, there are やれやれだぜ everywhere (of course in romaji)

4 Likes

Update! Update!

I pushed him to learn some kana and sent him the link to the Tofugu Hiragana website, but he said that he’s currently learning Spanish and it’s hard to learn two languages at once. :frowning: Guess it ain’t happening anytime soon.

9 Likes

When I was living in Japan (and when I go back to visit friends) I sometimes pick up rude or gender specific Japanese (I’m a girl btw) just by being in the environment and my friends would comment on it. Like recently I went to Fujikyuu with my japanese bff and her boyfriend and I said, 'なんか食いたいな。。。’ くいたい instead of たべたい and my bff told me I shouldn’t use that because it’s only for guys (must have picked it up from her boyfriend haha). Or having dinner with another friend and her officemate and me saying 'アイツはね。。’ . The officemate chided my friend for teaching me 悪い日本語. (She didn’t, I just tend to pick up stuff from pure osmosis haha, which is how I mostly learned how to speak.) So many instances of speaking boy japanese, like すげー instead of the normal kawaii すごい!But oh well, my friends find it funny and they’re kind enough to let me know when I’ve said something weird again.

17 Likes

Spanish is ez, just tell him to do it.

9 Likes

Once a flirt, always a flirt

7 Likes

38 Likes

Obviously, that’s the norm for standard Japanese (and I know where I live is the exception), but in your defense, nothing you wrote would be strictly “masculine” where I live in Fukushima. I hear for eat probably equally as often as たべる (in casual situations), and there’s no trend at all in who uses it. Hell, I’ve even heard both young girls and elderly women drop a ぼく or おれ on occasion.

11 Likes

This is so cringey.

7 Likes

I also live in Fukushima and my students do the same thing. Although I probably hear the (female) students say う more than they say べる. I’ve also heard them use ぼく about the same as わたし.

I have even heard some of the female teachers use う sometimes but it is much more rare than hearing the male teachers say it.

3 Likes

Your friend: “I love all things Japanese.”
Also your friend: “Japanese is a weeb language and I don’t want to learn it.”

Something seems a little off about his reaction to the actual language of the culture he seems to love. Especially considering that language and culture are intrinsically connected.

21 Likes

Yeah… I really expected him to at least consider learning it. The first time I sent him the link to the Tofugu Hiragana website, he commented on how I mentioned it before, and then he brushed it off. I pestered him again and that’s when he brought up how he’s already learning Spanish. Though, I don’t think his “THIS IS IN WEEABOO” was meant to insult the Japanese language; he was just trying to say “This is actually in Japanese and I can’t read it”

4 Likes

As somebody who likes Japan he should really try to learn Hiragana and Katakana. It’s not that much to learn in comparison to Kanji and all the grammar. I would say 1 month when he studys every day diligently and 2 month to master when he’s lazy.

5 Likes
3 Likes

Oooh that’s interesting! I lived in Tokyo so maybe it’s a Tokyo thing? I’ve had multiple experiences of friends commenting that I shouldn’t use boy Japanese. But then again, I was in fashion school so maybe my friends are much girlier than other japanese girls? Idk. Haha. I don’t think I’ve heard any of them use 僕 so that’s really surprising for me.

2 Likes