A reader's dilemma

Yes, I understand. But I guess the darts could wrinkle the pages. Anyway, I’m personally totally fine with a good old pencil. I don’t expect to resell my books or anything.

Btw, only now noticed your user pic. Incidentally I am reading 蜘蛛ですが、なにか?LN now :wink:

2 Likes

Seconding sticky notes. I’ve developed a kind of silly reading habit over time that works for me:

I start off with the book, a pad of sticky notes, and a pen. At the beginning of a new chapter, I grab a fresh sticky note. As I’m reading, I write down the words I want to look up and the page number they appear on. The sticky note travels with me throughout the chapter. At the end of the chapter, I leave it stuck on the last page and start a fresh one for the next chapter. If I stop reading in the middle of a chapter, I’ll stick it so it pokes out as a bookmark.

I really like doing it this way because

1. no marks in the book
  2. I don’t use a billion tiny page flags for individual words (tried that, it was awful)
  3. I can pull out my sticky note for a finished chapter and make flashcards in batches, which feels less daunting
  4. No screens while reading. I’m reading paper books, and for me personally having to stop and pull out a phone or switch over to my computer to add to a list or look up a word is super annoying. All the screen time happens at the end unless there’s a word I’m just dying to look up in the moment.
2 Likes

All your contributions are giving me a great help, thank you everyone (´。• ω •。`)

These is what I have been using for a short period of time and with Genki volumes, before starting WK - which, btw, I didn’t like and so I guess here it comes the love-hate relationship with Anki :slight_smile: The idea of putting directly the word into Anki saves a lot of time for sure, and I think I’ll try it for sure :wink: I guess I’m just kind of lazy at making flashcards :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m a slow learner too - cannot study properly more than 20 new vocabulary per day - and what makes me really upset is that I encounter many interesting vocabulary in manga/books and cannot recall it :frowning: from there the need of having some kind of discussion!

I’m a post-it gal too :smiley: but in addition to the “bulky” problem, sometimes I lack the time - or motivation - of reviewing what I left behind - here SRS comes in handy.

Honestly, grammar is pretty easy for me, it’s just that while you’re reading, it may happen to encounter some wild N1-N2 grammar, so I have to stop and look for it somewhere - google. I think making sentences out of those grammar points will work just fine, don’t you think? :smiley:

3 Likes

I haven’t used them enough to be sure, but it shouldn’t wrinkle the pages as long as you’re careful putting them on. I suppose it’s possible though :thinking:

It’s one of my favorite LNs. I still haven’t read the Japanese version yet but it’s on my to do list. I hope you enjoy it (^-^)

1 Like

I always travel with a (non-necessarily Japanese) book and sticky note in my bag :wink:

So you basically finish the chapter/book and then review what you have written until that moment? May I ask if you use the flashcards solution too?

1 Like

Pretty much! I do as much reading as I want, and then go back and make flashcards (I do use Anki, although I’m not in love with it) for whatever seems necessary afterwards. I’ve found that having the page numbers is nice so that I can go back and see the word in context while I’m making cards.

3 Likes

I’m very Anki centric as well. Whatever interesting vocab I find while reading or watching, I add it to my Anki set. While reading I tend to read aloud to hear the pronunciation otherwise I’m afraid of getting into the habit of reading via glancing instead of actually reading.

However, when reading something for the first time, I would just skim the text first to get the general idea and then read more carefully. With manga I’m more of a “glancer” unfortunately :stuck_out_tongue: .

4 Likes

This is where I like Migaku’s add-ons for Anki.

From there, I can look up words as I read, and it remembers them in tabs:

Then either when I look up the word, or after I finish reading, I can go through and make cards for them. (I like to make the card while reading so I can type the sentence in.) Making a card is just a few clicks: 1) click to create card, 2) click to add definition, 3) click to add image (optional), 4) click to add native audio of word (optional).

Going this route, I spent maybe 10 to 30 seconds per card created, depending on how long it takes me to add an image, and to select from the available reading audio choices.

Thankfully the number of sentences with only one unknown word for me is still low enough that I don’t have too many appropriate sentences to make cards from, or I might end up making more cards than I could handle to review… I’m in trouble if Migaku implements support for Tatoeba sentences (which I think they’re working on), as that’ll make it easier for me to find good sentences to make cards from when the sentence in the manga I’m reading has multiple unknown words.

3 Likes

Of course, every one does have their own way of learning as you’ve seen from those giving these very insightful suggestions to your question. Personally, the more forceful the learning process (“faster”, “better”), the less I enjoy and derive useful knowledge from it. For me, a language is possible when I gradually shift into it and I start assimilating details here and there. Again, everyone is different and therefore there are lots and lots of variations. The better you know yourself, the more useful the tools that will pop up in your path and you can use them to your benefit. Good luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

For digital recreational media, I just use yomichan(chrome)+ Anki.
I think it was a recommendation from cury dolly channel- to create just one single deck where you gonna add all words from all of your media- anime/manga and ext.

It’s very convenient because you just hover with the mouse over an unknown word and just click on it to add automatically into your Anki deck- it will give you 6+ possible translations and also save the word with the whole sentence.

If you are lazy like me to set up anki- here you can download anki template (Why study doesn't work; and what does. The One-Deck Strategy. - YouTube organic mother template in descriptions)

I’m already trying to use it on animelon while watching full metal alchemist with Japanese subtitles- super hard but a very effective method to immerse yourself into language. Already have like 400+ uknown words from 5 episodes :grinning:

2 Likes

Seconding yomichan+Anki. While Migaku is also great, Yomichan makes the process a bit simpler. Whenever i encounter a new word i want to learn, i just shift+mouse hover over it (if it’s not in the browser yet, look it up with e.g. jisho.org), and click on the + button, and voila, it’s in my Anki deck. I often add some tags like common/uncommon or what source it’s from, like Nicole.

I only learn x new words each day that i put into anki before, so not all of them. Sometimes, when i want to learn specific words, e.g. when i’ve looked it up twice already, i put them in my review queue directly (reschedule them from browse → right click).

Yomichan takes a few steps to set up (including downloading and importing a dictionary), but it’s super worth it.

https://foosoft.net/projects/yomichan/#anki-integration

by the way, how do you automatically add a whole sentence to the Anki card from Yomichan?
edit: found it out, use {sentence} in the template (i think)

As an alternative to Yomichan+Chrome you can also just use Lorenzi’s dictionary and put words into lists there, then export them to Anki (i think. will probably need an account on the site)
https://jisho.hlorenzi.com/
this is a very good new dictionary, many prefer it to jisho now. Also shows you the exact frequency of a word in a certain medium (e.g. news10k anime/drama6k)

2 Likes

Migaku’s latest update should bring it at least up to par with Yomichan in this regard. That said, the update’s in alpha testing right now, and I won’t have access until it hits beta, so I’m just repeating the marketing =)

For anyone familiar with Yomichan, but not with Migaku, the two have similar functionality to create an Anki card from a word/sentence on a web site. One of the main features for Migaku is tracking which words you do and don’t know, so it can alert you to sentences where you know all the words except for just one unknown word: perfect target sentence to create an Anki card from.

Yomichan’s definitely quicker and simpler to get up and running for creating Anki cards. And Migaku’s still an early product with room for improvement.

2 Likes

Anki template is in the youtube video i linked ( description- organic mother deck)
And yomichan anki setting should look like this

6th field will be notes. should be empty. In case you need to add mnemonics or something.

3 Likes

yeah i’ve found that afterwards, but thanks!
mine looks like this:

(i like to add meaning and reading mnemonics like on WK, and other fields (though i usually don’t bother to add WK levels). you also need to add these to a note type in Anki.)
unfortunately, the pitch accent graphs usually don’t work.
also, a lot of words in the dictionary don’t have an example sentence.

2 Likes

For vocab, I use anki 2k/6k deck but I edited the flash cards so they show me a kanji/word, and below it a example sentence. On the other side it shows the meaning of the kanji, the example sentence again and then the meaning of the sentence. This means I learn words from context, even though I have not encountered the word yet in Anki (only in the example sentences).

This method is not good for learning words by heart, but gives me reading experience while also teaching me words based on the context of the sentences. I really like this method as it is fast and it already helped my reading skills a lot :blush:

1 Like

I’m pretty much the same. I’ll sometimes look up the same thing several times, but I’ve never exported my lookups to anything or studied them afterwards.

However, I didn’t really start reading this way until finishing WK.

2 Likes

As a young nerd, I was often encouraged as a child by my family to read books with a note pad and/or dictionary by my side. I eventually would use scraps of blank paper as bookmarks. So if I found a word I didn’t know, I would write it down on the paper, then look it up once I got the chance. Plus writing it down separately, helped re-enforce the spelling in my mind.

I haven’t tried it with Japanese yet, so I don’t know if YMMV or not.

3 Likes

Mikagu seems awesome - especially the “remember tab” part since you can go on reading and go back later - and I’ve seen it around many times. I think I’ll try this one for vocabulary I found while reading.

BEST ANIME EVER! I’ll wait a bit before watching it though! I don’t feel confident atm

On Chrome I have the rikaikun plug-in, but it doesn’t allow you to create flashcards while reading something in JP. However, it seems really good and it maybe useful especially when I read news!

This is definitely a good strategy if you’re reading from multiple resources like I do! Consider it adopted!

That’s totally me, but I’m at point now that I want some vocabulary that I find while reading to stick better! From there the need of this kind of discussion!

3 Likes