A method for viewing particular kanji as "visual scenes." What are some kanji you're able to memorize just by the drawing alone?

I’ve discovered that if you’re able to store a kanji as a very distinct image of something, in other words as a scene, (not, say, as a story or an arrangement of concepts), then you can memorize it MUCH easier. I learned this thanks to how Wanikani has you memorize radicals. This method works particularly well for kanji that describe something physical.
For me, one very interesting one that I use is for 橋. In the picture, I see a tree, an overturned log, and a pagoda like building on the other side of it. The overturned log is, of course, a bridge, which is the meaning of the kanji.
So, are there any kanji like this for you guys?

2 Likes

Seeing the pictures in kanji was what got me into Japanese as a kid! I thought it was so cool. I really loved diagrams like these

kanji

Getting into really complex kanji makes it hard. Even wanikani struggles to come up with a story for things with a billion radicals, so those ones I just resort to rote memorization for. But I prefer to try to see pictures!

4 Likes

A tree, a log and a pagoda
A scene indeed, but also an untold story within
You need the bridge to cross from the tree to the pagoda.
That’s very nice, I liked it

But as Strideer says once you go from the pictogram ones to the ideogram or semantic ones it gets foggy.
I think I ve forgotten pretty much every kanji within the last ten levels here because of that.

Thanks for sharing

2 Likes

Yeah, the further in you get the more common that becomes, unfortunately. ):

1 Like

I also like viewing kanji in a pictorial way like that! I have a few pictures planned that I’d like to do someday based on a couple of kanji, but we’ll see when I get to them.

Have you seen this thread? It seems like something you’d enjoy.
https://community.wanikani.com/t/mnemonic-draw-thread/36457
(They’re admittedly mostly drawings based on the mnemonics, not images based on the kanji shape directly, but there’s also some original mnemonics there. And having a picture drawn out for you of the mnemonic is nice too.)