A bit of advice from one newbie to another

It’s my second time through Level 2, yes - I hit the reset button and started from the beginning after taking too much time off to be able to do my reviews. Honestly, it can be pretty discouraging if you learn 100+ Kanji, then take three months off and find yourself getting 20% on your reviews.

So I made the decision to start anew and pace myself better for my second attempt.

Here’s one piece of advice that I’ve been taking myself that I didn’t take the first time around. When I first started Wanikani I felt like I had to do all my lessons. If you have 1-2 hours a day to devote to Wanikani, I’d say go for it…but if you’re like me and only have 20-30 mins a day, that’s just not realistic.

Now, I’m going nice and slow given the limited time that I do have to devote to Wanikani. This means I’m probably on pace to do a level a month. At the same time, I’m actually learning and not getting crushed with my reviews.

I now think of it this way. I can always go faster at some point in time but there’s no going backwards if I get too far ahead. So I really make sure I am getting 90% on my reviews BEFORE adding more lessons to the mix. I just can’t learn 60+ kanji in a week, it’s not realistic for me, and that’s okay.

At some point, I’d love to spend 1-2 hours a day and get on better cadence, but this time around I’m being more realistic. If you’re a newbie like me and you only have 20-30 mins a day, I’d suggest you do the same. Don’t feel like you have to do all the lessons, your brain won’t be able to absorb it all and you’ll end up being in a review nightmare world.

I hope this is helpful and like I said, I’m a total newbie myself so if any experts want to jump in and either say, “hey you’re wrong, you shouldn’t go that slow!” or share any other words of wisdom, please do!

9 Likes

Hi @morgancmu

You’re not alone here. WK starts of slow on the first levels and everyone says “hey, can we speed this up” and then woah you are totally underwater with reviews. You’re not the first to come to this conclusion or this result. Here are a few other threads similar in nature:

Sometimes people disagree

Lots of other threads:

There are even plugins to help control review volumes, with different people either finding them helpful or unnecessary.

From my perspective, the most important thing is to stay motivated and keep doing those reviews. Whatever achieves that is going to be the right formula for you.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.