800 daily reviews and an apprenrice pile that keeps growing - tips?

As stated in the title, I have a pretty sizeable backlog of 700-800 daily reviews due to a long break from WK (and just being sloppy…). I can’t do all my reviews every day, which means that a lot of apprentice items get lost in the pile and don’t show up for a few days, making it more difficult for me to remember them.

Does anybody have tips for methods/userscripts/extensions for this or just experience from a similar situation? I have been searchig for a script that puts the apprentice level kanji/radicals/vocab first but have not found anything.

This might be what you’re looking for.

1 Like

I am using WaniKani SRS Reorder Button by Towe. There is another version by Mempo [Userscript] WaniKani Review Asc/Desc SRS Order.

Towe’s version also show Apprentice-1, Apprentice-2, Apprentice-3, Apprentice-4.

Now, I have <200 Apprentice, but 1,500 Guru… Guru Hell!.

800 reviews pending.

PS. Ninja’d

3 Likes

Thanks a lot!

I really like how they did it here.

Defeating ~1300 reviews and 600+ lessons

3 Likes

The reorder script really helps. Find a weekend where you can sit down and just concentrate on doing big chunks at a time - 50+ then take a beak and do the next chunk. A weekend should be enough to get the higher srs moved and for you refresh your memory for the apprentice ones. Make a note of the apprentice level items youre really stuck with too so you dont end up adding more into that list.

I started using a reordering script which got me pretty lazy on Vocab.

Was stuck at the 800-1000 mark for the past 1-2 weeks, but I decided enough was enough. Sat down, no distractions, and powered through.

Just hit 0, feels really good.

Recently I’ve been doing Wanikani on public transport, which has helped in preventing the stack from growing too much. I also try to schedule out blocks of my day to work on it.

1 Like

I agree, xMunch’s reorder by level to (probably) get burns and enlightened out of the way first is a good way to get that pile down initially. (Or whichever reorder app you prefer.)

I was under a similar pile in January. You can cut them down doing as little as 50 reviews a day. That will still take 16+ days, but if you’re steady with it you’re still getting out from under it. Do more when you can and have the mental energy, stick to the 50 a day when you can’t.

Something is always better than nothing.

頑張ってください。

I’m in a similar position, managed to get my pile of reviews from 2000 down to about 400 now, it’s definitely been a slog but I’m starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I also used a reorder script and decided to tackle it from two sides, the lowest levels to get some burns out of the way, and the hightest/most recent levels because that’s the stuff that I would have most recently learned and which the lessons are adding to. Without reordering by recent words I would have just forgotten them all again so no point even doing lessons. I’ve now got mostly things in levels 10-17 left, so all the middling stuff for me. I try to tackle them in batches of about 50-100 so that it’s not too overwhelming when you get loads of stuff wrong and essentially have to learn it all over again.

As long as you’re doing WK whenever you can you’ll soon get back on track! :smiley:

Just do it. Honestly, it’s worth putting in the work. If you have that many reviews, you’ve forgotten plenty. I had a 740ish review pile, and I worked it down by just settling in and doing them until I couldn’t even get a single one right because I was so fried. Took a break, and got back to it. And remember to put it in vacation mode when you have too much going on! When my family visits me here in Japan, or I go out of town for any reason, it goes in vacation mode. There is no penalty for this and I regret not doing it when I fell off track before!

You can do it in the next few days if you buckle down. :slight_smile:

I would definitely use the reorder script as mentioned. If you do reviews in smaller chunks, you’ll have a manageable number of items to look over afterward. Drilling yourself on the items you’ve missed at the end of each review session, paying close attention to the mnemonics and watching carefully for similar-looking kanji, will improve your accuracy overall, which in turn helps keep the pile from staying out of control. And of course, don’t do any more lessons until you get the reviews down to normal.

Good luck! You can do this!

Thank you so much for all the great responses. You guys are the best!

Just installed one of the reordering scripts, seems like just what I was looking for. 頑張ります!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.