440 days to lvl 60 - a speedy-ish run

It feels like these lvl 60 posts are coming in thick and fast nowadays (well done everyone!!), and I love that I get to write my own today :balloon:

a bit about my journey
Back in January 2021, I knew 0 Japanese bar ありがとう and こんにちは - I had no previous Japanese knowledge, never took any classes, Japanese writing just looked like squiggles (hiragana) or a downright mess (kanji) to me. BUT, I started learning Korean to distract myself from covid doomscrolling 2 summers ago, and read somewhere that the 2 languages are fairly similar, so decided to learn Japanese to boost my Korean (I am yet to find out how much this will really help me).

At first it was a bit rough as I hadn’t actively studied anything after finishing university a decade ago, but I got sucked into the joys of Wanikani quickly, and here I am!

a few thoughts

• whilst WK doesn’t work for everyone, it definitely worked for me and so far this has been the most effective language learning tool I’ve ever used; I love a good goal (aka lvl 60)
  • the vocab lessons are your friend; sometimes I’d struggle with kanji, but as soon as I learned them in context with other kanji to form vocab words they started to stick
  • accuracy isn’t everything; my average accuracy is at around 84% overall - whilst this resulted in more reviews for me to work through, it also made a lot more stick in the long run as I repeated things over and over
  • Keeping up with WK wasn’t easy - I spent a looot of hours, every day, keeping on top of my reviews (with a few hiccups due to moving jobs and flats as seen in my graph); ultimately, what got me through was how much joy it brought me, and how much I love learning kanji - not seeing WK as a chore has made a big difference in my journey :100:

gratitude
I don’t want to sound too soppy but during the last year and a bit, WK has become more to me than just a kanji learning tool. WK has well and truly rekindled my love for languages and language learning, it’s pushed my brain to new highs (and sometimes lows), it’s been my safe haven when I had bad days, and most of all it has become a hobby and an immense source of joy. For that, I can’t thank the Tofugu team enough :black_heart:

Learning kanji has also added a new dimension in the real world for me - now when I walk through Chinatown in London, everything feels a lot more… 3D? All the signs in hanzi, kanji, and hangul all of a sudden jump out at me, when previously they’d blend into the background like a pattern that my brain can’t decipher. This has probably been one of my favourite unexpected things to experience, ever :nerd_face:

what’s next?

• I’ve signed up for the N4 in July to see where I’m at - I expect to fail it based on my current grammar knowledge and lack of listening comprehension but that’s totally fine
  • I want to hammer in some N5 and N4 grammar via Bunpro so I have a good base for…
  • …immersion, immersion, and more immersion

obligatory stats

47 Likes

Congratulations…is there cake?

3 Likes

thank you! and yes, in chocolate form :smiley:

3 Likes

Congratulations! :crabigator: :cake:

1 Like

ケーキ

4 Likes

おめでとう!!!liseafさんはN4が頑張るね!

1 Like

Congrats on making it to 60! That’s some impressive speed!

Best of luck on the next steps of your Japanese learning journey!

3 Likes

Big congrats! :partying_face: :tada::tada:

Glad to see so many reaching lv 60 as of late! You’ve deserved this cake! ^^

4 Likes

Wow, that’s incredible. You’ve got skillz.

1 Like

Awesome, well done! You keep studying Korean too besides Japanese?

1 Like

thanks! and yes - I’ve been doing a lot of immersion in Korean and not a lot of studying, and a lot of studying and not a lot of immersion in Japanese so I plan on switching this now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Impressive. I love listening to Korean but I can’t imagine studying 2 languages at the same time. Japanese is already taking most of my spare time :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m kind of used to it because I always studied more than 1 language at a time in school and university. German is my native language, and I started with English, then English + French, then English + French + Russian, and finally English + Swedish. In a way it helps, because newer, more difficult languages automatically make the other language(s) feel like a breeze - when I started French, learning English became a lot easier, and when I started Russian my French improved massively. Not quite sure why or how, but it works for me :sweat_smile:

I get the spare time dilemma, which I often ‘solve’ by watching kdramas with engsubs whilst doing my wanikani reviews which is probably not the best thing to do, but it saves some time :grimacing:

2 Likes

Hehe that’s cool :slight_smile: Maybe I’ll start with the basics of Korean after I studied Japanese for a year or 2, just to see how that goes and what Korean is like. I don’t watch Kdramas but i watch a lot of Korean movies (They’re the best) and I’m totally into Kpop :wink:

My German was always quite ok, also because I lived close to the German border and when I was young we had 2 Dutch tv channels and 6 German ones, so as a kid I used to watch a lot of German children programs. Die Sendung mit der Maus, Löwenzahn… but I sucked at German grammar. That’s even more complicated than Japanese :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can you please send me this cake? My mouth is watering worse than Pavlov’s dog :dog: :drooling_face:

1 Like

oh if you like korean movies, you’d love kdramas too! I can recommend Vincenzo, it’s unrivalled and just excellent imo :eyes:

agree regarding German grammar, if it wasn’t my mother tongue I’d probably not bother learning it :sweat_smile: I do like how both German and Japanese are very descriptive languages though, and quite similar that way :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ll give Vincenzo a try!

1 Like